Post by Nutso »

"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: The Acolyte | Official Trailer | Disney+

Post by McAvoy »

I am not hearing good stuff about it. That there is a possibility of thd Dark Side being not so bad sort of thing.

Looks interesting though. At least they are doing something outside the timeline of the OT, PT and ST movies.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

McAvoy wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:01 pm I am not hearing good stuff about it. That there is a possibility of thd Dark Side being not so bad sort of thing.

Looks interesting though. At least they are doing something outside the timeline of the OT, PT and ST movies.
I knew nothing of this except the dude from "Squid Game" was going to be in Star Wars. And he's playing a Jedi, a role that requires holding in human emotion. I'll give anything a shot, so I ain't poo-pooing it.
Stan - South Park
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Nutso wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:44 pm
McAvoy wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:01 pm I am not hearing good stuff about it. That there is a possibility of thd Dark Side being not so bad sort of thing.

I knew nothing of this except the dude from "Squid Game" was going to be in Star Wars. And he's playing a Jedi, a role that requires holding in human emotion. I'll give anything a shot, so I ain't poo-pooing it.
Yesterday I watched a review from some Victor Von Doomcock ripoff guy who spent a good part of his ten minute review focusing that there was only one white guy in the trailer. And he doesn't look good. So you can figure out where that was going.

One other thing was that Weinstein's secretary is involved in this, directing of producing. Not sure. Some are calling her his pimp or something. I am not going to look into much of that.

I will watch it just like the others. I don't like to base my opinions on something just off of the trailer. I didn't with Ghostbusters 2016 and watched that one.... Actually bad example.

Better example, the first RDJ Sherlock Holmes movie didn't have a good trailer. Movie was great.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

McAvoy wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:46 pm

Yesterday I watched a review from some Victor Von Doomcock ripoff guy who spent a good part of his ten minute review focusing that there was only one white guy in the trailer. And he doesn't look good. So you can figure out where that was going.

One other thing was that Weinstein's secretary is involved in this, directing of producing. Not sure. Some are calling her his pimp or something. I am not going to look into much of that.

I will watch it just like the others. I don't like to base my opinions on something just off of the trailer. I didn't with Ghostbusters 2016 and watched that one.... Actually bad example.

Better example, the first RDJ Sherlock Holmes movie didn't have a good trailer. Movie was great.
Did you watch Ahsoka? I ask because it was just T'Pau and I in the Ashoka thread. So I figured no one else watched.
Stan - South Park
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

I'll give this a go...8 episodes so they might rush to cram everything in..we will see.
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Nutso wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:41 am

Did you watch Ahsoka? I ask because it was just T'Pau and I in the Ashoka thread. So I figured no one else watched.
I did. I actually liked it. Ashoka fighting Anakin the only thing I really didn't like. Pretty much felt forced in just to have Anakin in it somehow. I did kinda like the young Ashoka and the live action version of Anakin from Clone Wars.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

McAvoy wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:53 pm

I did. I actually liked it. Ashoka fighting Anakin the only thing I really didn't like. Pretty much felt forced in just to have Anakin in it somehow. I did kinda like the young Ashoka and the live action version of Anakin from Clone Wars.
Were you a viewer of the "The Clone Wars" cartoon? I had so much trouble getting into Ahsoka I felt like all these developed characters were dropped onto me. I hope that since Acolytes features brand new characters, we will get to learn about them.
Stan - South Park
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Nutso wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:47 am

Were you a viewer of the "The Clone Wars" cartoon? I had so much trouble getting into Ahsoka I felt like all these developed characters were dropped onto me. I hope that since Acolytes features brand new characters, we will get to learn about them.
She got better over the course of the show. If I recall she was intentionally made to be annoying and hated at first.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

McAvoy wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:30 am

She got better over the course of the show. If I recall she was intentionally made to be annoying and hated at first.
I screwed that up. I meant that I never watched "The Clone Wars," so when I was watching "Ahsoka," I felt like these were already fully formed characters who weren't developing throughout the series, except for Sabine Wren, a character from another cartoon called "Rebels."
Sabine had a quest, to rescue her platonic friend, and learn to use the Force so she can defend herself, but internally she struggles with her loneliness. Ahsoka wants to stop Thrawn but, her internal struggle was known to me because I watched carious retrospectives on "The Clone Wars," and "Rebels." Had I not done that, I would have been shocked to learn who she is and what she feels guilty for.
Sabine's internal conflict plays out through 3/4 of the series with her eventually betraying the Republic to rescue her friend, which to me is a really, really big deal in Star Wars. Ahsoka's internal struggle plays out in one episode through a vision quest. Contrary to you, I liked that episode.
So I was just curious if I would have felt differently, or been able to follow along with Ahsoka's development, if I had seen The Clone Wars and Rebels.
Stan - South Park
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Nutso wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:47 am
I screwed that up. I meant that I never watched "The Clone Wars," so when I was watching "Ahsoka," I felt like these were already fully formed characters who weren't developing throughout the series, except for Sabine Wren, a character from another cartoon called "Rebels."
Sabine had a quest, to rescue her platonic friend, and learn to use the Force so she can defend herself, but internally she struggles with her loneliness. Ahsoka wants to stop Thrawn but, her internal struggle was known to me because I watched carious retrospectives on "The Clone Wars," and "Rebels." Had I not done that, I would have been shocked to learn who she is and what she feels guilty for.
Sabine's internal conflict plays out through 3/4 of the series with her eventually betraying the Republic to rescue her friend, which to me is a really, really big deal in Star Wars. Ahsoka's internal struggle plays out in one episode through a vision quest. Contrary to you, I liked that episode.
So I was just curious if I would have felt differently, or been able to follow along with Ahsoka's development, if I had seen The Clone Wars and Rebels.
TBH, by the time of the Mandalorian and her own series, she is a different character than she was in Clone Wars. She was a kid in that show and she did grow up during it, but outside her relationship with Anakin-Darth Vader and the Jedi, you won't get much out of it that way.

You however would get much more into Anakin than you would from the Prequel movies and his slide into the Dark Side. I would still recommend it.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

McAvoy wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:26 am

TBH, by the time of the Mandalorian and her own series, she is a different character than she was in Clone Wars. She was a kid in that show and she did grow up during it, but outside her relationship with Anakin-Darth Vader and the Jedi, you won't get much out of it that way.

You however would get much more into Anakin than you would from the Prequel movies and his slide into the Dark Side. I would still recommend it.
Okay, thanks McAvoy. If I had watched The Clone Wars and Rebels, I would have gotten into the continuing adventures of these characters.
Stan - South Park
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Nutso wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:56 am
McAvoy wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:26 am

Okay, thanks McAvoy. If I had watched The Clone Wars and Rebels, I would have gotten into the continuing adventures of these characters.
The Clone Wars gets pretty serious around I think Season 3 maybe season 4. The first two seasons will feel like a kid show, but it definitely picks up.

Actually the Clone Wars will expand more on Bo-Katan and the Dark Saber and the Mandalorians as a whole before the Empire.

Spoiler warning, but Anakin Skywalker becomes Darth Vader. I know, I know bad me. But the series does hint at this future for him and you do see the aftermath of him turning. It's pretty good. But watch from start to finish though fof the full impact.