What's the latest in people's lives?

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: What's the latest in people's lives?

Post by T'Pau »

Since moving to the area back in the 90s, I've experienced earthquakes and verified tornado touchdowns, as well as winters that crippled cities for weeks and blackouts triggered by summer heat. True, that winter has been pretty much a no-show the past couple of years and the normal 'four seasons' have mergered into shortened versions of both winter and spring.
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

When I said we don't get extreme weather, I didn't have anything like tornados in mind. During my lifetime we have had one "Tornado" in the UK. It caused a total of 2 roof tiles to be pulled off a roof and knocked over some wheelie bins. Nor am I talking about earthquakes. In my entire life I think of only two of those. They each lasted about 30 seconds and likely didn't exceed magnitude 2.

Extreme weather for us is more along the lines of cold in the region of 28F (-2C) and hot is typically 80F (26C). Now I'll grant you that we have had temperatures in the 38 - 40C, twice but that's global warming for you.
email, ergo spam
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

IanKennedy wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:09 am When I said we don't get extreme weather, I didn't have anything like tornados in mind. During my lifetime we have had one "Tornado" in the UK. It caused a total of 2 roof tiles to be pulled off a roof and knocked over some wheelie bins. Nor am I talking about earthquakes. In my entire life I think of only two of those. They each lasted about 30 seconds and likely didn't exceed magnitude 2.

Extreme weather for us is more along the lines of cold in the region of 28F (-2C) and hot is typically 80F (26C). Now I'll grant you that we have had temperatures in the 38 - 40C, twice but that's global warming for you.
28F? That's good sleeping weather! I get it. You guys over the pond for the most part have very stable weather especially in the area of the planet where you should be knee deep in snow most of the time.

The tornados, hurricanes and earthquakes were just add-ons about the stability of the weather of NYC. Go anywhere else in the country and you start getting the extremes.

Even the animals are pretty tame. Deer, foxes and black bears. Black bears are pretty easy. They stay away from you and you stay away far away if they got cubs. Everywhere else is coyotes, wolves, bigger bears, angry Moose, mountain lions...
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Nor'Easters and the remnants of hurricanes are what affect NH the most.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:45 pm Nor'Easters and the remnants of hurricanes are what affect NH the most.
Yep. I think it was two years ago where one of the big hurricanes that hit the Gulf of Mexico traveled north through the US and still had enough energy to do some pretty good damage to NJ, NY and PA. We had major roads shutdown and even had roads flood hours after the fact.

I drove home hours afterwards and there was so many abandoned vehicles because they tried to drive through a flooded road. What normally would take me 50 minutes took me 3 hours because I had to find alternate routes and alternate routes of those alternate routes to get home. Nearly wrecked my car too when I drove through a road that didn't look flooded but it was.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Well, I'm glad you managed to make it home. :)
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:04 pm Well, I'm glad you managed to make it home. :)
Eventually. Kinda fun really. It was like the end of the world with all the abandoned vehicles, closed roads, downed power lines, trees, no power, flooded roads. But at night!

One thing I never thought about was the next day. Where the rain water goes that floods the roads, lawns etc and what happens if the sewers get backed up. It goes somewhere else. Like the main road from my place ended up getting alot of that flood water since I got home where there was no way for me to go to work.

That and apparently the one of main highways Route 1 got flooded up to the overpass. Which is impressive.

Mind you this storm only lasted about two or three hours.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Had a bit of a panic attack at work today. It's been... rough there and at home.
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:32 pm Had a bit of a panic attack at work today. It's been... rough there and at home.
I hope things get better for you ASAP.
“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.”
― Captain Jean-Luc Picard
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:32 pm Had a bit of a panic attack at work today. It's been... rough there and at home.
Sorry to hear that. Hope things are improving. Celebrate even a little improvement, one step at a time and you'll get back.
email, ergo spam
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Sorry to hear your struggles. Maybe the change in weather getting closer to actual autumn, will spark some improvement all the way around. Snap in the morning air, crunch of the leaves underfoot...who knows? Wishing you well!
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Thanks, all. I am feeling better. :)
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Good to hear :)
“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.”
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Last weekend, after about almost a year of preparations my brother threw a nice big party for my parent's 40th Wedding Anniversary. The only problem was my Mom went to hospital the day before and couldnt make it (and likewise neither could my Dad).

Past month she went into a big depression which sometimes happens which she has meds for. But she refused to get out of bed, eat or drink anything. Which is a bigger issue since she has a transplanted kidney. Dehydration isn't good for a transplanted kidney. She also allowed her blood pressure of sugar levels to get too high because again, organ transplants tend to make people diabetic.

As of today she is doing very well. Physical therapy and my Dad is also having her see a therapist which she never really did see before. Get better meds for her episodes.

So in the end the 40th Wedding Anniversary Party ended up becoming a family reunion party of sorts. Felt bad for some who were friends of my Dad or Mom but didnt know anyone else though.
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

After four months of back and forth with housing, to get permission on mental health grounds, and with the support of the Complex Needs Team, I finally brought home a kitten yesterday. She is very lively, energetic, curious, and affectionate. I have called her Jadzia (it was a toss up between Jadzia and Ezri before I saw her, and Jadzia fits the personality better).