Flat-earthers/flat-earth theory

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Flat-earthers/flat-earth theory

Post by mwhittington »

Why do some people insist the earth is flat? It was proven a sphere thousands of years ago by a gentleman named Eratosthenes, whos was able to calculate the circumference of the earth by measuring the shadows of obelisks in two different cities at the same time of day. I did a little reasearch as to why these people think the earth is flat, and a large percentage are misinterpreting scriptures in the bible. They don't understand that what the KJV calls the "firmament" is not a dome, but rather the atmosphere. More modern translations use the word "expanse", which makes more sense.
But it goes deeper than that. They subscribe to a lot of conspiracy theories, including "the moon landing was a hoax", "gravity isn't real"(no, I'm not kidding), and "NASA is a Hollywood studio run by Masons who worship Baphomet"( again, not kidding). What are your thoughts?
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Flat-earthers/flat-earth theory

Post by IanKennedy »

There are a lot of stupid people out there and they're out breeding us. Trump doesn't help, being the king of liars and stokes conspiracy theories for his own purposes.
email, ergo spam
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Because they want to feel special, too. They want to be in on the 'big conspiracy' and feel like they're above sheeple. And I think i just threw up in my mouth a little typing that.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Same reason why there are people who think the world is only 6k years old or space travel is impossible and the Moon Landing is fake. Religious and being anti science in general. All you have to do is read why people were saying about Covid in 2020-2021. The moment someone was wrong about it, was the moment anything else said after that was 100% distrusted.

Too many are in the mindset of being a witness. Common question is 'were you there' or 'who was there to confirm this?'. Science is just making shit up as facts. Things like that.

Now with that said there is this idea that these people specifically the flat Earthers who are actually not using religion as a source of the skepticism. These people have this mindset that they alone with only a small amount of people in the world of billions know the truth. They see beyond the lies and the propaganda and they alone see the truth. So they feel special.

The fact that you do some serious mental gymnastics to even explain flat Earth working in the real world, doesn't matter. Like how many times do you think they were explained why stars don't show up in NASA photos of Space or the fish eye effect wasn't happening in that one photo because the rest of the station isn't curved either.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

The world is flat, circular and rides on the back of 4 elephants, which in turn ride on the back of a giant turtle. We all live in fear of the "great humping".
email, ergo spam
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

IanKennedy wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 11:57 am The world is flat, circular and rides on the back of 4 elephants, which in turn ride on the back of a giant turtle. We all live in fear of the "great humping".
That might prevent the Sky Cat from flipping Earth.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

If the Earth was flat, cats would have pushed everything off of it by now.

(I found that somewhere).
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

:)
email, ergo spam
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

No, of course! the earth isn't flat! It's in the shape of a bowl, man! THAT'S why the cats haven't pushed everything off the edge! There's a lip too high even for them! Oh, man! Someone get me a corkboard and red string to tie all my theories together! I'm gonna crack this wide-open!
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Actually with the string you've probably hit on something. The string would completely distract the cats. At least temporarily preventing them taking over the world.
email, ergo spam
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

IanKennedy wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:16 am Actually with the string you've probably hit on something. The string would completely distract the cats. At least temporarily preventing them taking over the world.
Don't say that too loud! There's probably some crackpot conspiracy theorist who would really believe that. *<:*)X *<:*)X
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Flat earthers have members all over the globe.

Fun fact, I once met one in person. She asked me if Earth was not flat why do pilots don't drip their nose of the plane to account for curve. I told her she is forgetting about gravity working to push to the plane down as well as lift working to make the plane go up. Where a pilot will make equilibrium between the two. Somehow I managed to explain it well enough for that hamster wheel in her head to start spinning again.

Then she asked why do planes use fisheye lense in planes to fake the curvature of the Earth. So basically she has seen the curvature apparently and still thought the planet was flat.