Today I Watched...

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Today I Watched...

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

Apex Predator (just called Apex elsewhere I think). It stars Bruce Willis, but alas it was not a very good film. One of his last I guess, it came out in 2021, and he later retired after being diagnosed with aphasia, and now dementia.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Unfortunately you could say that about a whole raft of his later movies. He started doing very low budget moves of various styles and none of them were much good. I suspect it was due to his worsening condition and perhaps getting as much money as possible before it became impossible to work.
email, ergo spam
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Marcel the Shell with Shoes On: an Academy Award finalist for animation short...a strange yet wonderful story told in a combo of stop-motion and regular filming...wasn't too sure what to expect after seeing a clip, and was happily surprised with the experience. Worth a watch!
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

I've seen trailers for it at the cinema (the trailers were there, I don't think the film is going to be). It looked very odd.
email, ergo spam
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Employee of the Month. Dane Cook movie. Makes it out like being a cashier at a Sam's Club or Costco being a cool job. But at the same kinda admitting that they don't get paid enough for half decent things. Such as the lead cashier driving a Piece O Crap Honda (1981) and which is later sold for $20. And his whole goal in the movie as the bad guy is get the 'newish' Chevy Malibu. Which I think was a 2003 model.

Waiting. Dane Cook is in it but he is better as a background character. Ryan Reynolds is in it being his usual self. I have heard that this movie does protray the restaurant industry accurately even if exaggerated in some areas and done more humorously.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Wishmaster I, III, and IV. Enjoyed I and IV, with the first being the best one. III was really boring, slow, and rubbish. My Aunt concurred (we watch horrors every Thursday night at hers).

Also, Urban Legends: Final Cut which I didn't really enjoy too much.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Watched the first two Mortal Kombat Legends animated movies. Very bloody. It is what it is. Not bad though if you turn off the brain.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Thursday, with my Aunt, watched:

Wishmaster II: Probably the second best, I think overall I preferred the first but they're close. Have now seen all four in the franchise, with the order of best to worst being I, II, IV, III.

Skinned Alive: Actually, we made it about 1/3 of the way through. It's boring and bad acting, so we switched off.

Butcher Boys: Another horror. We weren't entirely sure what was going on half the time, not great.

Fall: Two girls stuck up a giant mast over several days/nights. Was pretty good, I enjoyed it overall. Wasn't expecting the ending.
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Avatar: Way of Water: Lots and lots of shot for shot, word for word from the first film..CGI was spectacular...soooo loonnng!!! Hit every movie trope from the basic cowboys vs indians, to Free Willy, to Titanic and even Poseidon Adventure and more such as the Alien films.

First film was forest ppl, this one is water ppl....so is the next desert ppl or underground ppl?? Might have reached the 'jumped the shark' moment!
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

I think the next are the Fire People, who are not meant to be 'nice'.
email, ergo spam
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Shazam Fury of the Gods....more like flurry of over-acting! I knew this was a box-office stinker going in, but expected some fun akin to the original film. Levi's Billy seemed hopped up on crack, while Lucy Liu was so overmatched by Dame Helen Mirren, that poor Lucy was unable to get out of her own way and resorted to over-acting beyond her reach...ouch! Not so much fun as much as frantic and off-putting. Interesting CGI, with all the dragon moments seemingly lifted from Game of Thrones, frame for frame.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

T'Pau wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:24 pm Shazam Fury of the Gods....more like flurry of over-acting! I knew this was a box-office stinker going in, but expected some fun akin to the original film. Levi's Billy seemed hopped up on crack, while Lucy Liu was so overmatched by Dame Helen Mirren, that poor Lucy was unable to get out of her own way and resorted to over-acting beyond her reach...ouch! Not so much fun as much as frantic and off-putting. Interesting CGI, with all the dragon moments seemingly lifted from Game of Thrones, frame for frame.
The thing is all of these DC movies that predate Gunn are pretty much dead on arrival. Or that's what I think. I really think if DC wanted to make more money was if they kept Gunn's reboot a secret even to the actors of the movies coming out. I think they lost money by saying the whole DC franchise is getting rebooted and no more Cavil Superman.

There is only Aquaman and The Flash left. The Flash is the only one that might not bomb due to a certain Batman coming back after 30 years.
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Flash already has a stink on it due to the star's troubles with the law...plus most of his dialogue in JL was retooled by Jos Whedon, who is also a persona non grata in Hollywood so not involved in this film...too many big question marks involved here
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Bridge of Spies: an oldie but a goodie..my guy had never seen it and enjoyed it!
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Ghost Busters: Afterlife. Pretty decent, prefer the first two films overall.