Re: "Starfleet's OVERUSED Starship" - Miranda-class

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Ah, the true cost of models-the fans getting sick of seeing them. :D
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:17 pm Ah, the true cost of models-the fans getting sick of seeing them. :D
:lol: :lol:
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:17 pm Ah, the true cost of models-the fans getting sick of seeing them. :D
Speak for yourself. I love the movie Era models.

Outside the Wrath of Khan did any Miranda manage to do anything but be a redshirt type of ship?
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

McAvoy wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:37 am
Speak for yourself. I love the movie Era models.

Outside the Wrath of Khan did any Miranda manage to do anything but be a redshirt type of ship?
Oh, I'm not even speaking for myself. :P I love those designs, too. It's just, with a video called 'Starfleet's overused starship', someone out there's gotta be sick of seeing it.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

I think the miranda was a logical extension of the only other ship we had at the time, the constitution. It brought with it the thought of modularity in the designs, with the primary hull being a unit that could be connected in multiple ways to build ships

The other issue I have is that Star Fleet has an enormous number of ship classes these days. This is very really down to the relatively low cost of building a digital model. That and the fact that nobody seems to want to keep around digital assets for ship designs. The designs seem to be owned by the CG companies employed to do the work in a given film. When it comes around to doing a subsequent movie they could end up with another company involved, who then have to start again. It's often easier to just build a new ship design than to spend time trying to reconstruct something exactly as it was. This is why you get things like the Lakota and the E-B variant of the Excelsior. Plus the huge number of designs we keep finding out about.
email, ergo spam
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

It's so insane that someone flipped the Reliant upside down thinking that was how it was supposed to be, and created something that lasted decades.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Ha, it makes perfect sense that it should be the other way up. Nacelles go upwards. The tiniest of secondary hulls, sits below the primary. It fits the mould, but at the same time it's so wrong. It does look so much better the other way up. It also laid the path for so many other slung under ships. Miranda is the first, but then we have Nebula, Centaur, Luna even the Akira could be included. Obviously, the droop nacelle dates back further than this, it's right there is the Franz Joseph designs, Ptolemy, Hermes and Saladin.
email, ergo spam
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

Nutso wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:02 pm It's so insane that someone flipped the Reliant upside down thinking that was how it was supposed to be, and created something that lasted decades.
If it was an Australian that did it, I will laugh
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I don't know if it's because I am so used to the Miranda the way she is or that the upside down version just doesn't look as good as opposed how she is now.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

I honestly can't imagine the Miranda looking correctly the other-way up.