- She Said
- Violent Night
email, ergo spam
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Today I Watched...

Post by T'Pau »

Troll (netflix): another offering in the Norweigen troll theme (think Troll Hunter..so good!!) and just as fun!
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Violent Night is a sort of cross between home alone and an action flick. More serious in tone but certainly make you laugh at points. Very gory. Worth a watch if that's your thing.
email, ergo spam
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Spirited: Ryan Reynolds as a 'Scrooge' type character visited by Will Farrell's Ghost of Christmas Present, in a madcap musical filled with song and dance.
If you're a WF fan, you'll enjoy this, as he is a main focus. If you enjoyed the music of 'La La Land' composers, you'll enjoy this, even though every song is constructed the same way, with equal numbers of stanzas and the emotional tug of a key change towards the end. Dialogue is witty and fun most of the time. Exactly as I expected, and for me, too much WF..waaaay too much..and not enough of the other folks (and yes, WF is a producer of the flick to be found on Apple+).
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

OK, I just watched it. Pretty good. It is a bit heavy on the Will Farrell angst angle. I certainly could have done without Ryan Reynolds' really atrocious attempt at a cockney accent. Not since Dick Van Dyke, has that accent been so badly murdered. Core blimey Mary Poppins.
email, ergo spam
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Pinocchio: Guillermo del Toro take on the classic story, with stop-motion puppetry set during the reign of Mussolini...wonderful imagery so you forget how it is being done and get drawn into this version of the story. It is a musical, minus the Disney tunes from the cartoon, and a darker tone better suited for adults. Great voice cast...enjoyed it!
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Northman A Viking Tale. Had it my list since 2015. A direct to video type of movie. Not bad. Plot is thin.

Had Ed Skrein in it as a bad guy. Not sure what his motivations were.

Not sure why I had it on my list.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Yup, that was another Skaarsgard stinker right up there with Tarzan...P-U!
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

God, is that the one with Nicole Kidman in. I went to see it because she was in it. Surely it couldn't be that bad... oh, I was so wrong. It was awful. I would have left but I had other movies to see that day and I would only have to sit around waiting for them to start.
email, ergo spam
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

IanKennedy wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:17 am Violent Night is a sort of cross between home alone and an action flick. More serious in tone but certainly make you laugh at points. Very gory. Worth a watch if that's your thing.
Ok, so I wasn't expecting much from this, but it exceeded all expectations...funny in a dark kind of way, while hitting all the classic Santa mythos and adding some new. Violent and gory while inventive in use of holiday decor to cause mayhem. Soon to be a classic!! Finally a film David Harbour can be proud of and wipe the bad taste of 90% of his Hellboy reboot out of everyones mouth.
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Strange World: Disney desperate to prove they can be diverse, in a super clunky, dull take on 'Fantastic Voyage' of sorts mixed with a Terry Pratchett story. When even Disney has to borrow heavily from other material rather than be inventive and creative...poor Walt must be spinning in his cryo-tube somewhere.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

T'Pau wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 5:48 pm
IanKennedy wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:17 am Violent Night is a sort of cross between home alone and an action flick. More serious in tone but certainly make you laugh at points. Very gory. Worth a watch if that's your thing.
Ok, so I wasn't expecting much from this, but it exceeded all expectations...funny in a dark kind of way, while hitting all the classic Santa mythos and adding some new. Violent and gory while inventive in use of holiday decor to cause mayhem. Soon to be a classic!! Finally a film David Harbour can be proud of and wipe the bad taste of 90% of his Hellboy reboot out of everyones mouth.
Indeed, we've just watched it again. It's fast becoming one of my favourite xmas films.
email, ergo spam
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Same here with regards to being a new holiday fav!
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

The Witcher: Blood Origin..heavily edited down from more episodes to four total, thus leaving plenty out that made some story threads tough to follow..still unclear on several fronts, but with Cavill leaving the main series, who knows how much life is left in it.
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Glass Onion A Knives Out Mystery: quite a let down from the first film..felt rushed at times and plodding at others...and some terrible editing choices to cram the plot to fit the timing platform..Daniel Craig was still good as the bombastic detective with the slow southern drawl.