Interview: ‘Star Trek: Strange New Worlds’ Showrunner On How Season 2 Is Bigger, Crazier And Stranger

Star Trek : Strange New Worlds
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Interview: ‘Star Trek: Strange New Worlds’ Showrunner On How Season 2 Is Bigger, Crazier And Stranger

Post by Nutso »

https://trekmovie.com/2022/09/20/interv ... -stranger/
The second season of Star Trek: Strange New Worlds has already been filmed, and on Star Trek Day, TrekMovie had a chance to talk to co-showrunner Henry Alonso Myers about what fans can expect when the series returns.

For season 2, would you say it is a different season or more of what worked in season 1?

I want to say more of what’s worked. But I would also say, in some ways, it’s different. We were trying to take what worked and really amplify that. And then try to correct where we weren’t happy with it. But the biggest thing we tried to do was not hold back stuff. We were really like, “Okay, let’s pretend this is our last season. And let’s absolutely go for everything that we wanted to do.”

You didn’t have any fan feedback before you did season 2, so can you give examples of what you thought was working?

I would say we tried to do comedy, and we were like, “Let’s go for bigger comedy. Let’s make things bigger and crazier.” We tried to do drama, so we wanted to really kind of go to the gut of stuff and make episodes that were going to make you cry.

And something you wanted to correct?

One of the things that I wanted to do a correction on was that I feel like we weren’t able to really touch on every single character. We’ve worked really hard to try to give every character their moment in the show. That’s the hardest thing about the show.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Interview: ‘Star Trek: Strange New Worlds’ Showrunner On How Season 2 Is Bigger, Crazier And Stranger

Post by McAvoy »

I think if they build on what worked in the first season and not try to force new ideas it will work.

Maybe fix the Gorn so they are more in line what we have seen them to be. Smacks too much of reinventing the Klingons like they did with Discovery.

And don't introduce more TOS characters just fir fan service. Leave them be. Don't need to see McCoy or Scott or Sulu or Chekov yet. Only if you can get Urban as McCoy if you want a cameo IMO.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Re: Interview: ‘Star Trek: Strange New Worlds’ Showrunner On How Season 2 Is Bigger, Crazier And Stranger

Post by Nutso »

McAvoy wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:16 am I think if they build on what worked in the first season and not try to force new ideas it will work.

Maybe fix the Gorn so they are more in line what we have seen them to be. Smacks too much of reinventing the Klingons like they did with Discovery.

And don't introduce more TOS characters just fir fan service. Leave them be. Don't need to see McCoy or Scott or Sulu or Chekov yet. Only if you can get Urban as McCoy if you want a cameo IMO.
Yeah. I mean how do the Gorn, a species designed to kill each other until the strongest survives, get to become a space fairing race on par with the Federation? How do they come together to explore space in the first place? Can they develop a sustainable population that can go to war with interstellar adversaries, let alone develop a society??
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park