Today I Watched...

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Today I Watched...

Post by IanKennedy »

I saw "The Railway Children Return" the other day. Truly awful. Set in WW2 towards the end of the war. The story line was one of Racism in the US army. Given it is a children's adventure movie it seems very out of place. A 14 year old black American joins the arms and then deserts because the officers are racist. The MPs (as in military police, not members of parliament) are very upset with the locals because they won't go along with the persecution of the blacks. Well in 1940s England that wouldn't have been a problem. We were hardly a bacon on light in that darkness.

There's also the odd scene where the women have a go at Winston Churchill for not backing he Suffragette movement 20 years before. Again pretty out of context for the last year of the war, when he was seen in a very positive light.

The story was boring and out of place, the characters equally so. No magic of the original and just down right poor.
email, ergo spam
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

I also saw "Where the Crawdads Sing". Which was interesting if a little non-linear, with vast chunks told in flashback. Still pretty good. A little slow with a decent, but not earth shattering. courtroom drama thrown in on top. Likely worth a watch.
email, ergo spam
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I watched Down Perriscope with Kelsey Grammer a couple of days ago. I still find it funny. I have seen it in a long time.

The guy who was the Admiral's son who was actively trying to get out, reminds me of a few people when I was in the Navy. They were also the kind of people who was out to sabotage himself, not others.

Don't get me wrong, there were straight up assholes who would fuck up and try to do everything to get the blame off of them.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Paws of Fury: an animated family friendly version of 'Blazing Saddles' with samurai cats and a dog. Terrible puns abound, delivered by a decent voice cast...good 88 mins to forget about the ugly weather outside and enjoy the air conditioning and some jalapeno cheddar popcorn!
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Luck: animated film about a black cat (simon pegg) and his adventures with an unlucky girl in the land of luck. Not bad, not good..just meh!

Prey: the next of the Predator films, this one set in the mid 1700s with plains Indians as the featured humans...all the cgi budget was spent on the creature and none on the many animals he hunted along the way before the humans. Kind of fun but ultimately stupid, sadly.
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

I Am Groot: a short series (5 less than 4 min episodes) on Disney+, about baby Groot in various situations...cute, funny, easy quick watch.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

T'Pau wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:15 am Luck: animated film about a black cat (simon pegg) and his adventures with an unlucky girl in the land of luck. Not bad, not good..just meh!

Prey: the next of the Predator films, this one set in the mid 1700s with plains Indians as the featured humans...all the cgi budget was spent on the creature and none on the many animals he hunted along the way before the humans. Kind of fun but ultimately stupid, sadly.
I liked Prey. Felt fresh on a old concept since the original.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Yesterday I watched:

Nope
Sci-fi thriller set on a Ranch near LA. Certainly worth a watch, even if the Female lead's character is a little annoying.
email, ergo spam
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Rush Hour. The first one. Because I wanted to.

Still funny after all these years. The scene with the Chinese restaurant is still funny as hell.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I watched Spider-Man> No Way Home the other day. I found this movie to be massively frustrating, and the ending pissed me off something fierce. If I wanted to see Peter Parker's life be destroyed, i'd read the fucking comics. but since I DON'T want to see that, that's why I don't read the comics and preferred the movies!
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Top Gun Maverick: guess I lack enough testosterone to fully appreciate this redux of the first film combined with Star Wars...

Really, how many topless and running teenie tiny tommy cruz scenes are needed here??? They list his height at 5'7"...having sat next to him at the theatre, I can safely say they are over by 3-4"s.

The flying scenes were excellent, the sailing scene was ridiculous as they are suppose to be in San Diego and they are sailing in San Francisco Bay!
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

Recently saw several films:

No Time to Die - Daniel Craig's last outing as Bond. I really wasn't that enamoured with it at all. Probably among my least favourite Bond films.

Spider-Man: No Way Home - Again, not a great film. The previous Spidey films were much better. Really hated the ending.

Memory - Liam Neeson as an assassin with the onset of Alzheimer's. Pretty good film, I enjoyed it.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

DC League of Super Pets: another Dwayne Johnson/Kevin Hart vehicle...some laughs, some groans, kinda scary for kids IMHO, setting up the next DC super hero film and sequels with the animated pets...ok for a super hot afternoon sitting inside under the A/C, keeping it cool!
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

I've seen it a couple of times now. It's ok, I agree LiLu is somewhat freaky. She also has a pretty disturbing end (well not completely, given it is a kids film).
email, ergo spam
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

I never realised that North Island (ie top gun) is located in San Diego. In fact at the end of Coronado. We actually stayed there for a few days, when visiting. Nice place, with great nighttime views of the city.
email, ergo spam