Best Trek in years

Star Trek : Strange New Worlds
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Best Trek in years

Post by thelordharry »

I'm now four episodes in and loving it so far. That's how you do modern Trek. All the characters are perfectly cast as well. And I have to admin being a little bit nuts for La'an Noonien-Singh :)
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and
the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to
know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is
to have succeeded.”
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Best Trek in years

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

I've seen just the first episode so far, and loved it. So glad to see some great Trek on the screen again.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I can say it's definitely better than Discovery or Picard that is certain. My own personal preference of course.

It does have the issue of it not truly being part of the Primeverse since it seems to be reinventing alot of things established by TOS. Gorn for example.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Post by thelordharry »

Yeah, I guess at this point in RL Trek history, the writers had a decision to make: wear the straitjacket of canon and please the purists, or go for the more freeing 'interpretation' angle. This ain't your father's ST for sure! But I like what they're doing so far and I hope it continues. You can't go backwards, and the style of TV made in the '60s and '80, '90s and '00s just isn't going to cut in the modern era. Societal attitudes have changed, and we now longer see a 22nd century Enterprise being run by the men while the women are all space secretaries. And you know what? To ****ing right as well! I think SNW has the balance right here, whereas I feel Discovery just lurched far too wokely to where no woke-person has gone before.
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and
the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to
know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is
to have succeeded.”
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Episodic storytelling is the superior Star Trek format. I wonder if that's what really held STD back. The serialized storytelling inexplicably centered around one character. SNW was able to devout entire episodes to one or two characters in one plot and how the character had to deal with a personal issue. This wasn't the Captain Pike show. This was an ensemble show with everyone getting some character exploration. Also this show has to play within a set canon, yet that never held it back. So is episodic storytelling with only 10 episodes the real solution to a better Star Trek?
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Nutso wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:34 am Episodic storytelling is the superior Star Trek format. I wonder if that's what really held STD back. The serialized storytelling inexplicably centered around one character. SNW was able to devout entire episodes to one or two characters in one plot and how the character had to deal with a personal issue. This wasn't the Captain Pike show. This was an ensemble show with everyone getting some character exploration. Also this show has to play within a set canon, yet that never held it back. So is episodic storytelling with only 10 episodes the real solution to a better Star Trek?
Well with Star Trek it was always about exploring new worlds, new species and episodic format makes that far easier. As opposed to an over reaching story arc like Discovery or Picard which limits that.

But you still can do a hybrid of that as shown by DS9 though.

My own opinion, SNW should be a real full season like 20 episodes. 12-13 episodes works better when you are doing something like Discovery and Picard. It's not a Metter because I like SNW over the others more but episodic TV works well with more episodes. Whereas, huge season long arcs like Discovery works better on shorter seasons unless you want to include filler episodes.

Don't understand why Lower Decks is not longer either. Presumably it's a far cheaper series. They could do longer seasons. It's a cartoon, they can easily do filler episodes.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

It's pretty decent. On my list of things to add...
email, ergo spam
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

McAvoy wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:23 am
Nutso wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:34 am Episodic storytelling is the superior Star Trek format. I wonder if that's what really held STD back. The serialized storytelling inexplicably centered around one character. SNW was able to devout entire episodes to one or two characters in one plot and how the character had to deal with a personal issue. This wasn't the Captain Pike show. This was an ensemble show with everyone getting some character exploration. Also this show has to play within a set canon, yet that never held it back. So is episodic storytelling with only 10 episodes the real solution to a better Star Trek?
Well with Star Trek it was always about exploring new worlds, new species and episodic format makes that far easier. As opposed to an over reaching story arc like Discovery or Picard which limits that.

But you still can do a hybrid of that as shown by DS9 though.

My own opinion, SNW should be a real full season like 20 episodes. 12-13 episodes works better when you are doing something like Discovery and Picard. It's not a Metter because I like SNW over the others more but episodic TV works well with more episodes. Whereas, huge season long arcs like Discovery works better on shorter seasons unless you want to include filler episodes.

Don't understand why Lower Decks is not longer either. Presumably it's a far cheaper series. They could do longer seasons. It's a cartoon, they can easily do filler episodes.
The streaming service needs to shoot more shows and build up a menu, so to speak. So shorter shows, but they can finance and shoot more television shows to fill up their service and attract more subscribers.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

I generally prefer shows with longer seasons, unless the show itself wouldn't suit. I would much rather see 20 episodes a season of Strange New Worlds, though I do get what Nutso says.

I have still only managed to get several episodes in with Strange New Worlds, because life and stuff, but I have been enjoying what I have seen so far.

I know some of the spoilers because I do a lot of work for my own Star Trek project which entails research and I come across a lot of spoilers and such, so I kind of know a lot of the stuff that I will be seeing overall. But it does not blunt my enthusiasm. I have seen TNG/VOY/DS9, Babylon 5, SG-1, each 6-8 times all the way through, and am still excited every time.

Hopefully I will get to the end of Strange New Worlds by mid March, as I don't watch much I am usually working on my worldbuilding projects, and of course I have Picard to watch too.

Luckily I get Paramount+ as part of my Sky Stream package, so I have access to all things Trek. Or most, they don't seem to have TAS which I have never seen and do plan to, now I am allowi9ng myself to watch the animated stuff.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."