Today I Watched...

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Today I Watched...

Post by IanKennedy »

T'Pau wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 11:01 pm Morbius: Sony/Marvel owes me 105 minutes for that schlock of a film...so many levels of awful!!
Ah, Sonic the Vampire... no thanks.
email, ergo spam
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Secrets of Dumbledore: 4th in the Fantastic Beasts series: interesting new creatures, very dark and dower, everything well telegraphed so no real surprises...

Read that if it didn't do well at the box office and beyond, the final 2 films that had been planned, will not get the green light...

I suggest they do a short 6-8 episode series for those, pack in as much as needed to complete the series, and put it on whichever streaming service that has all the Potter properties. That model has been working well for both Marvel and Star Wars.
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Sonic the Hedgehog 2. Great movie. Better than the first IMO.

Moonfall. Weird disaster movie. Moon is falling to Earth and gotta destroy it, save the human race etc. Though they do use some real world physics, I still think when the Moon is close to Earth like it is in the movie, the crust of the Earth would be spewing hot rock all over the place.

Just me. Nice reveal though towards the end.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Last Seen Alive: Gerard Butler driving, waiting, angry, driving, waiting....stopped at 30mins...gawd awful!

Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent: Nick Cage and Pedro (Mandalorian) Pascal in a very strange buddy film...terrible and terrific at the same time!
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Eraser Reborn: more like a poor carbon copy of the original plot, set in a different place, with the same stock xharacters and situations...yawn!
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

The Princess: a Hulu original that isn't very original, but an ok popcorn flick that doesn't require much thought.

Gotta love Dominic Cooper (young Howard Stark, Preacher) channeling Alan Rickman's camp from Robin Hood Prince of Thieves!

90+ mins of girl power in a tower!
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

On catch up from 3 weeks in Iceland and 2 weeks on a cruise in Norway:

Minions: The Rise of Gru
Pretty good, silly as ever. Fun with it...

Elvis
Interesting but depressing. Still not sure why it was necessary to have Rap music in an Elvis movie.

Jurassic World Dominion
Oh my god... This is just awful. We have the old firm and the new firm in series of anti-climatic thumbnails of scenes from previous films.
We also have bad guy who is a mash up off Elon Musk crossed with "Tim Apple", as the great (in size and not quality) orange one liked to call him.
It is just plain bad, in every conceivable way.
email, ergo spam
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

McAvoy wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:02 am Moonfall. Weird disaster movie. Moon is falling to Earth and gotta destroy it, save the human race etc. Though they do use some real world physics, I still think when the Moon is close to Earth like it is in the movie, the crust of the Earth would be spewing hot rock all over the place.
Wow, I'm not sure that I can think of pretty much any of this movie as being real world physics.

At one point they say that the moon is having more effect on the planet that it is supposed to, so "Doctor conspiracy" says that they haven't accounted for its extra mass! If the mass of the moon wasn't what we thought it was rockets wouldn't get there when we tried and the obit would be completely different.

At another point they take off in the shuttle and are actually underwater, except the rockets are still working, just as much as they would without... So yes, rockets would work underwater, they are a mixture of oxygen and hydrogen, but the water would kinda suck all the heat out of the reaction, greatly lowering the thrust available. It would also provide a huge amount of extra drag to push against, killing any forward momentum that they may have built up by that point. Hint for any space racers out there... don't build your launch pad underwater.

Still if you ignore every conceivable scientific notion in the movie it's kinda fun. It's rather good to see an English accent in a movie without them being the bad guy...

On a side note I was watching this at one point the whole movie stopped mid-shuttle launch (Like pressing the pause button on a you-tube video). Cinema staff then came in and told us that part of the building roof was falling off and we had to leave. That's was the end of that for more than a week. I saw it again in a other branch of the same theatre a week later.
email, ergo spam
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

IanKennedy wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:12 pm
McAvoy wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:02 am Moonfall. Weird disaster movie. Moon is falling to Earth and gotta destroy it, save the human race etc. Though they do use some real world physics, I still think when the Moon is close to Earth like it is in the movie, the crust of the Earth would be spewing hot rock all over the place.
Wow, I'm not sure that I can think of pretty much any of this movie as being real world physics.

At one point they say that the moon is having more effect on the planet that it is supposed to, so "Doctor conspiracy" says that they haven't accounted for its extra mass! If the mass of the moon wasn't what we thought it was rockets wouldn't get there when we tried and the obit would be completely different.

At another point they take off in the shuttle and are actually underwater, except the rockets are still working, just as much as they would without... So yes, rockets would work underwater, they are a mixture of oxygen and hydrogen, but the water would kinda suck all the heat out of the reaction, greatly lowering the thrust available. It would also provide a huge amount of extra drag to push against, killing any forward momentum that they may have built up by that point. Hint for any space racers out there... don't build your launch pad underwater.

Still if you ignore every conceivable scientific notion in the movie it's kinda fun. It's rather good to see an English accent in a movie without them being the bad guy...

On a side note I was watching this at one point the whole movie stopped mid-shuttle launch (Like pressing the pause button on a you-tube video). Cinema staff then came in and told us that part of the building roof was falling off and we had to leave. That's was the end of that for more than a week. I saw it again in a other branch of the same theatre a week later.
I said some. As in stripping the atmosphere, Moon's own gravity weakening Earth's gravity. Massive, massive tidal waves.

Don't get me wrong. Hollow Moon, with a dwarf star as a core that somehow doesn't make the Moon the strongest object in the solar system?
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

That would depend on a large number of things. What the mass of the original star was. How much of it was destroyed in it going nova and producing the white dwarf (I didn't say supernova). The issue I had was that NASA tried to work out some orbital mechanics in launching the shuttle and they didn't gibe with what was going on at the time. Dr Conspiracy then chirps in and says "that's because you haven't taken into account the change in the mass of the moon". Why would the mass of the moon have changed? Moving it closer doesn't change its mass in any way. Suddenly finding out it has a star it it doesn't change its mass in any way.

The only way I can think of the mass changing would be some sort of hyper advanced physics we are not aware of that produced an anti gravity effect to mask the mass of the star, which stopped working once the star was covered by the AI and it lost power. Even if that was true, there is no way that Dr Conspiracy knew this at that point in the movie.
email, ergo spam
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

IanKennedy wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:47 pm That would depend on a large number of things. What the mass of the original star was. How much of it was destroyed in it going nova and producing the white dwarf (I didn't say supernova). The issue I had was that NASA tried to work out some orbital mechanics in launching the shuttle and they didn't gibe with what was going on at the time. Dr Conspiracy then chirps in and says "that's because you haven't taken into account the change in the mass of the moon". Why would the mass of the moon have changed? Moving it closer doesn't change its mass in any way. Suddenly finding out it has a star it it doesn't change its mass in any way.

The only way I can think of the mass changing would be some sort of hyper advanced physics we are not aware of that produced an anti gravity effect to mask the mass of the star, which stopped working once the star was covered by the AI and it lost power. Even if that was true, there is no way that Dr Conspiracy knew this at that point in the movie.
I don't know. Wouldn't the mass of the Moon, star or star less, would make it slightly easier for ro ket launches as at a certain point the gravity of the Moon would negate some of Earth's? Or the moon's own gravity take over at a certain point?

But yeah, it should be obvious to anyone in NASA they have to factor in something with the Moon?
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

The Sea Beast (2022 Netflix): Never saw any press on this, but saw a thumbnail of the poster and when I looked it up and saw that this animated film was starring Karl Urban and Jared Harris, I knew it was worth a look-see.

A bit of a re-hash/borrowing from How to Train your Dragon but still quite fun! Didn't know what to expect and was very pleasantly surprised!
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Jurassic World Dominion and Lightyear: both films borrow heavily from their previous franchaises so neither requires any mental heavy lifting. On a day plagued with a stomach bug and very little sleep, this double feature was perfect for lazing around with the heat & humidity held at bay with the A/C set on arctic, while buried under the blankets. That is all.
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

The Gray Man: netflix blockbuster big money project starring Ryan Gosling and Chris Evans: spy vs spy..lots of action, a bit of humor (due to some ad libbing), decent script though obvious mile markers all the way through,...will be turned into sequel city and spin off mania with netflix using it as a starting point for world-building..enjoyable well-made unexpected film!