New server

Important stuff, please read before posting
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

New server

Post by IanKennedy »

Welcome to the new server. This move was required to rid us of some bad hardware.
email, ergo spam
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: New server

Post by Teaos »

Is there much work involved in something like this? Or is it basically copy/paste?
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Teaos wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 11:06 pm Is there much work involved in something like this? Or is it basically copy/paste?
Yes, and no. You have to have the new server configured by the provider. This they got wrong, twice... unusual.

Then you have to migrate all the website files, emails, the database that houses the website content and the forum. Happily there is an app to manage this, which makes life simpler.

Once that is done the new server will have a new ip address and it runs our DNS. I then have to point the DNS to the new server. This is the bit that takes time. Its not the actual work that takes the time required to copy and paste the number. DNS is a distributed system. It can take a day for the new values to propagate around the world and for people to get to know the new number. It can take 5mins but it can be much longer. Thus my usual final message... see you on the other side.
email, ergo spam
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

*Dusts off the new place* Thanks, Ian. :)