Why in the USA?

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Why in the USA?

Post by McAvoy »

thelordharry wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:06 am Why in the USA...

The tipping culture. Just...why?

I understand how it works. People in the service industry get paid as little as their employer can get away with paying them and therefore expect their paying customer to make up the rest of the money they need to survive. And I get that if everyone buys into this scheme it becomes the normal and perfectly reasonable and OK. But to someone from another culture where people are paid the basic cost of living as a minimum (give me some slack on this one) and everyone only has so much money, having to dole out more money on top (i.e. a tip) just seems odd. And everyone...everyone seems to want their piece of the pie. I know America is the most capital of capitalist countries in the world and that's just how it is. But by jingo if it doesn't perpetuate the 'me first' culture of the country. Perhaps that's why the country finds itself in its current state?

And sales tax. On the shelf for $9.99 and you go to pay with a $10 note before seeing the actual price with tax rung up on the register.

I'm not going to poke the 'guns' hornet's nest, but "No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens".

Now give it to me why the UK is a dreadful place. I can take it. I'll probably agree but that's just part of being British...
First off tipping. I think there is a small reason that if you as a server or bartender that you could possibly get enough tips to make more than you would if they were paid by the hour accordingly without tips.

My cousin's wife was a bartender and she used to be able to take home $300-$400 a night in cash. Cash tips are not taxed, but if you tip on your card it is. Since it's easily reportable. Even the IRS will find it difficult to figure out exactly how much you were tipped in cash.

On the other hand, it's about the business. If you do away with tips and they have to pay the servers accordingly the argument is always they have to raise the prices. America is very protective of its businesses.

Sales tax. Simple reason is that for the most part all of us are fully aware that sales tax is not included in that price. Sales tax is not the same state to state either. Delaware for example has no sales tax.

I know of some Mom and Pop shops though that include sales tax in their prices and always round up or down to the nearest nickel (5 cents) so they don't have to carry pennies.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"