‘Star Trek’ Cast, Including Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto, Returning for Fourth Film

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

‘Star Trek’ Cast, Including Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto, Returning for Fourth Film

Post by Nutso »

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/star ... 235021307/
They’re boldly going back.

Paramount is planning to enter negotiations for “Star Trek” stars Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana, Karl Urban, John Cho and Simon Pegg to return to the Enterprise for their fourth tour of duty in the venerable sci-fi franchise.

The announcement was made by J.J. Abrams during the Paramount Investors Day Presentation on Feb. 15.

“We are thrilled to say that we are hard at work on a new ‘Star Trek’ film that will be shooting by the end of the year that will be featuring our original cast and some new characters that I think are going to be really fun and exciting and help take ‘Star Trek’ into areas that you’ve just never seen before,” Abrams said. “We’re thrilled about this film, we have a bunch of other stories that we’re talking about that we think will be really exciting, so can’t wait for you to see what we’re cooking up. But until then, live long and prosper.”

Paramount was close to bringing back this cast once before: In 2018, S.J. Clarkson (“Jessica Jones”) had signed up to direct a sequel that would have reunited Pine’s Kirk with his late father, played by Chris Hemsworth reprising his performance from the 2009 “Star Trek.” That film never materialized, however, after Paramount reportedly couldn’t close a deal with Pine and Hemsworth.

Since then, insiders say the studio has done market research to determine audience interest in the rebooted cast, given the long wait period between “Beyond” — which lost money for Paramount — and a prospective new “Trek” film. Execs determined that there was still lasting audience enthusiasm for Pine, Quinto and the rest of the cast in their established roles, which allowed the studio to feel comfortable with moving forward with bringing them back.

Paramount has also explored several other avenues for “Trek” features, none of which seem to have ultimately borne fruit. Quentin Tarantino reportedly cooled on a “Star Trek” script he was pursuing with “The Revenant” screenwriter Mark L. Smith. In late 2019, Paramount tapped “Fargo” and “Legion” creator Noah Hawley to write and direct a “Trek” movie that Hawley planned to feature new actors playing new characters. But when Emma Watts became president of the Paramount Motion Picture Group a few months later, insiders say she paused all “Trek” development, including Hawley’s film, to decide how best to move forward with one of the studio’s crown jewel franchises. With Watts’ departure from Paramount in September, it’s unclear what the current “Trek” film portends for other development for the franchise, including a screenplay by “Fear the Walking Dead” co-executive producer Kalinda Vazquez.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: ‘Star Trek’ Cast, Including Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto, Returning for Fourth Film

Post by IanKennedy »

They tried this before and the cast started asking silly money to come back. I suspect they've left it this long to negotiate something better.
email, ergo spam
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: ‘Star Trek’ Cast, Including Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto, Returning for Fourth Film

Post by McAvoy »

It's not clear but is JJ Abrams directing? If he is, I really hope he learned alot since his last Trek film and the Star Wars films he directed.

He was always light on story logic and heavy on the visual effects. Also heavy on the nostalgia.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

and waay too heavy on lens flare
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Amazed they can get this cast again after so long.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

In part is was a reason it took so long to get even this far. They tried not too long after the last. The cast wanted too much money and so they dropped the idea. They circled around and come back to it.
email, ergo spam
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I am hearing it's dead again.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Yes, they've lots their director. Perhaps paused, rather than dead.
email, ergo spam