Galaxy class refit

The Next Generation
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Galaxy class refit

Post by Meste17 »

Hello I was doing some looks through the Galaxy class on the DITL site and I thought I would offer an idea for a possible refit for say the late 2370s. Please tell me what you think.

Universe : Prime Timeline
Affiliation : Federation
Class Name : Galaxy Class
Type : Explorer / Heavy Cruiser
Unit Run : 30 built in total. 6 have been lost in all.
Commissioned : 2376 - present
Dimensions : Length : 641 m
Beam : 470 m
Height : 145 m
Decks : 42
Mass : 5,125,000 metric tons
Crew : 400, 15,000 person evacuation limit.
Armament : 14 x Type X phaser arrays, total output 80,000 TeraWatts
2 x Pulse fire quantum torpedo tube with 250 rounds
Defence Systems : Regenerative shield system, total capacity 7,506,000 TeraJoules
Standard Duranium / Tritanium Double hull plus 9 cm Ablative armour.
Standard level Structural Integrity Field
Warp Speeds
(TNG scale) : Normal Cruise : 6
Maximum Cruise : 9.2
Maximum Rated : 9.95 for 12 hours.
Strength Indices :
(Galaxy class = 1,000) Beam Firepower : 1,600
Torpedo Firepower : 1,350
Weapon Range and Accuracy : 1,440
Shield Strength : 2,780
Hull Armour : 1,450
Speed : 2184.245
Combat Manoeuvrability : 1,000
Overall Strength Index : 1,780.761
Diplomatic Capability : 6
Expected Hull Life : 100
Refit Cycle : Minor : 1 year
Standard : 1 years
Major : 20 years
Last edited by Meste17 on Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Galaxy class refit

Post by McAvoy »

Just going by the stats, I don't see a problem with it. Though just me, I'd bring down the maximum warp speed down to Warp 9.95.

Just me, but I feel that the Galaxy class doesn't have the capability to approach that sort of speed. Short of a heavy refit, like new nacelles, perhaps newer pylons etc.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

McAvoy wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:08 am Just going by the stats, I don't see a problem with it. Though just me, I'd bring down the maximum warp speed down to Warp 9.95.

Just me, but I feel that the Galaxy class doesn't have the capability to approach that sort of speed. Short of a heavy refit, like new nacelles, perhaps newer pylons etc.
Ah okay thanks :)
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

So facing itself, its shields could only stand up for 93 seconds. Still better than the original Galaxy class that can only handle 54 seconds worth.

Comparing to the original Galaxy page, it looks like you made the following changes:
Mass: +165,000 tons
Crew: 600 fewer needed
Armament (Phasers): +30,000 TW output
Not sure what the torpedo launcher change is, but it sounds fancy so go with it
Defense Systems: +4,806,000 TJ capacity (almost triple the original protection)
Max speed: increased from 9.6 to 9.95
Diplomatic capacity: minus 1 capacity

Overall this is appears to be primarily a combat upgrade, due to over 50% greater firepower, 178% greater shielding, and faster engines.

I would've gone with increasing the torpedo armament as well, since there seems to be a lot of room for torpedoes on a Galaxy class starship
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Coalition wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:08 am So facing itself, its shields could only stand up for 93 seconds. Still better than the original Galaxy class that can only handle 54 seconds worth.

Comparing to the original Galaxy page, it looks like you made the following changes:

Overall this is appears to be primarily a combat upgrade, due to over 50% greater firepower, 178% greater shielding, and faster engines.

I would've gone with increasing the torpedo armament as well, since there seems to be a lot of room for torpedoes on a Galaxy class starship
Agreed. This refit doesn't seem that far different than the sites own Galaxy refit.

I have been messing around with what a real Galaxy class refit could look like for the post war. One of them would be twin torpedo tubes in place of the one. A torpedo tune or two could definitely be placed in the saucer too. We have to remember how huge the ship is and how few people for its size is on it. The ship is so large that you probably could fit in all the same tech from a Sovereign class into it. The only limitation would be physical limitations due to the design as in the shape of the warp bubble if would have to make.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

I agree. Thanks for the input gentlemen. I really appreciate it.
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

Coalition wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:08 am So facing itself, its shields could only stand up for 93 seconds. Still better than the original Galaxy class that can only handle 54 seconds worth.

Thank you for that input. I shall go with that then. :) Plus, to answer your question, the pulse fire tubes are the same as those on the Lakota from DS9 "Paradise Lost." That is the change.
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

McAvoy wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:47 am

Agreed. This refit doesn't seem that far different than the sites own Galaxy refit.

I have been messing around with what a real Galaxy class refit could look like for the post war. One of them would be twin torpedo tubes in place of the one. A torpedo tune or two could definitely be placed in the saucer too. We have to remember how huge the ship is and how few people for its size is on it. The ship is so large that you probably could fit in all the same tech from a Sovereign class into it. The only limitation would be physical limitations due to the design as in the shape of the warp bubble if would have to make.
So go with 5 Pulse fire tubes rather than 2?
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Meste17 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 5:53 am

Or ten or fifteen.

It is a combat variety of the GCS? What is the mission profile? Explorer or some battleship?

The GCS is huge is really made up of vast empty space that in TNG was barely used. You could easily fit as many weapons as you want. You could have the saucer have rows of phaser strips. Just a matter of what powers it.
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

McAvoy wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 4:35 am

Or ten or fifteen.

It is a combat variety of the GCS? What is the mission profile? Explorer or some battleship?

The GCS is huge is really made up of vast empty space that in TNG was barely used. You could easily fit as many weapons as you want. You could have the saucer have rows of phaser strips. Just a matter of what powers it.

Yes it is. Basically a battleship, considering that according to most sources that it was refitted into such due to rising hostilities with the Klingons.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Meste17 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:41 pm

Or ten or fifteen.

Yes it is. Basically a battleship, considering that according to most sources that it was refitted into such due to rising hostilities with the Klingons.
Fan sources as far as I can tell.

So where are these torpedo tubes located?
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

McAvoy wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:56 am

Or ten or fifteen.

Most likely on that superstructure right behind the bridge module, between the two phaser needles, other than the two as standard on the standard GCS.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Meste17 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:06 am

Most likely on that superstructure right behind the bridge module, between the two phaser needles, other than the two as standard on the standard GCS.
Wait are you talking about the Galaxy-X class? The All Good Things Enterprise-D with three nacelles? You didn't say that. Normal Galaxy class ships don't have phaser needles or a superstructure behind the bridge.

You do realize that structure is sitting on the main shuttlebay's overhead bay doors right?

Why can't these torpedo tubes be somewhere in the saucer?
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

McAvoy wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:36 am
Meste17 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:06 am

Wait are you talking about the Galaxy-X class? The All Good Things Enterprise-D with three nacelles? You didn't say that. Normal Galaxy class ships don't have phaser needles or a superstructure behind the bridge.

You do realize that structure is sitting on the main shuttlebay's overhead bay doors right?

Why can't these torpedo tubes be somewhere in the saucer?
My apologies if I did not. I could have sworn I have, but to answer your question in any case, yes I am. I was talking about the Galaxy-X class. The All Good Things Enterprise-D with three nacelles.

I agree, they should. Why is there a superstructure behind right on the main shuttlebay? -_-
bladela
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by bladela »

are in your opinion still galaxy class in service during picard? or maybe all the older ross class are refitted galaxy class?
"in casa dal 4 marzo, come sono felice"
"at home since March 4th, how happy I am"