Harry Dresden Files

Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Harry Dresden Files

Post by Atekimogus »

I recently finished the Dresden Files and admittedly I have become a fan. It seems most of urban fantasy nowadays is dominated by female authors using these settings for thinly veiled romances so I found Butchers rather practical approach to the supernatural world rather refreshing.

Also, while the first couple of novels where rather mediocre and cliched it is amazing how you can literally read how the author improves with each book. (Took me a week to read the first novel, two nights to read the last one..... :wink: ).

Unfortunatly I once again couldn't wait till the series is complete (I hate waiting a year for the continuation) so now I am currently out of stuff to read, so my question is....something similar out there? Anyone read the second novel-series from Butcher? Any good?

Any recommendations?
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Harry Dresden Files

Post by Teaos »

Well Conn Iggeldon stands as one of my favorite authors although he does historic fiction. The Sword of Truth series is both epic and finished.

But I agree the Dresdan files are great. I love the character growth.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Always nice to see another Dresden Files fan. I got drawn in by the SciFi channel series and haven't been able to get out since. I agree, the improvement in the writing quality from the first to the most recent books are astounding. I mean, Butcher never really made a secret of the fact that they are formulaic books, but he is great at keeping the formula interesting. Hopefully Cold Days will hit shelves soon -- perhaps during the (North American) winter months :happydevil:

I swear a couple of books (Dead Beat) or the entire series could make a great miniseries...
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

New book out this May.

If anyone hasnt read this series I would highly recommend it.

The first two books are okay but not great, but the series quickly gets epic after that, the third book is where the books start flowing one into another, with the 15th out soon.

Great Urban fantasy.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
katefan
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by katefan »

I found book three to be complete shit and I gave up on the series partway through book four.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

katefan wrote:I found book three to be complete shit and I gave up on the series partway through book four.
Pick up Dead Beat and try again :P
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

New book is out in 2 days. I would highly recommend this series to anyone who like fantasy or mystery books. It does start off slow. But book 4 or 5 starts a plot arc that runs all the way up to the current book.

Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Three years later, once again waiting for a new book. Anybody still reading? What do we think of developments so far?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I tried three different Jim Butcher books, and I can’t for love or money find anything redeeming about his shallow research or hack writing.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Good arch and character growth.

Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Anybody else still here and reading?

What did we think of Peace Talks/Battle Ground?

Yup, Peace Talks as a stand alone book may be the worst of the series. It was a stupid decision to split them.

But taken together they were good. I agree Murphy’s character arc had played out.

Interested to see what Harry can do with full resources.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Mikey wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:06 am I tried three different Jim Butcher books, and I can’t for love or money find anything redeeming about his shallow research or hack writing.
I never did ask, which 3 did you try?
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

My guy has enjoyed all of the Dresden series. Can't speak to any preferences, just that he has re-read them recently.
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."