"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Thor: Ragnarok Official Trailer

Post by Mikey »

Can't say yet anything as to the story, but double secret probation props for the casting.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Mikey wrote:Can't say yet anything as to the story, but double secret probation props for the casting.
Can't wait to see the movie....bit disappointed about the Valkyrie though...was expecting a very tall, athletic, nordic beauty...........not gonna lie, getting a bit sick off this "controversial" marketing gag castings. I am not even a comic book fan but why not just stick to the source material?

Or does it add anything having the character played by a petite, black woman? Other than creating a stupid "buzz" between fans, racists and SJWs?
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

The precedent was set two "Thor" films ago for black Asgardians, so I can't really call them on it now.
as Bull offed Custer
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Mikey wrote:The precedent was set two "Thor" films ago for black Asgardians, so I can't really call them on it now.
I suppose that's right. To be fair though....as a non-comic book reader I didn't really know about the Heimdall character and at least they got a top notch actor in the bargain.....

Now I have seen the new valkyrie in westworld and found her completely forgettable and average.......now call my racist but I am against straying from the source material too far....but if they absolutely have to do it to draw the black, gay, LGDBTKMNPRQYZ crowd in.....at least get some quality actor in return.

If the new valkyrie has to be black..I suppose Gina Torres would have been a good candidate (alas, too old for hollywood....but then, why not try to draw in the 40+ crowd for once?) Tall (almost 1,80m), athletic, beautiful, can act......

Meh...probably doesn't matter, Valkyrie most likely has 5minutes top of storyarc and the whole thing is more a marketing gag........
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Remember, too, that we (as people who don't worship at Uppsala) have a conception of a Valkyrie that may or may not be in accordance with the flying ladies of the Sagas. The sound made by hyenas is called "laughing" by people... but not by the hyenas. If you'll recall, the most famous Valkyrie of the sagas was kind of a damsel in distress, and required rescuing at all terms by a mortal man.
as Bull offed Custer
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

OK, I like this much better than the last trailer. Two nits that are bugging me, though: first, why no Jamie Alexander? Second, Hulk was fighting what appeared to be Fenrir/Fenris. A) obviously Hulk can't die in this film, but according to "real" Norse legend only Thor can defeat Fenrir at Ragnarok, at the cost of his own life. B) Loki seems awfully willing to join up, but Fenrir is his son and he didn't stand with the Aesir at Ragnarok.
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Mikey wrote:OK, I like this much better than the last trailer. Two nits that are bugging me, though: first, why no Jamie Alexander? Second, Hulk was fighting what appeared to be Fenrir/Fenris. A) obviously Hulk can't die in this film, but according to "real" Norse legend only Thor can defeat Fenrir at Ragnarok, at the cost of his own life. B) Loki seems awfully willing to join up, but Fenrir is his son and he didn't stand with the Aesir at Ragnarok.
I think we can safely discard the 'real' Norse legends. ;) IIRC, even in the comics they had Asgard as 'only' the current one, and Ragnarok had happened before. So they didn't have to really stick to the legends.
AlexMcpherson79
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

okay on a rewatch, just noticed that once thor arrives at Bleeker street, (0:15:20) it is, for him, basically a continuous sequence (0:18:40) to when Dr Strange brings Loki out of his 'fall'. so, Thor literally was in there less than five minutes (3:20). So for Loki to be literally (and exact) at falling for 'thirty minutes', then how long did it take Thor to find and get to Bleeker Street? At first I mistook it for 'for loki is was 30 minutes but for four like just four, but remembered there was a clear cut from loki's disappearance to thor arriving that is simply a time-skip,. but still. Twenty-five minutes. For Thor. Who, 'a few years ago' didn't even know we dont smash our glasses on the floor when we wish to have another drink. (though the fact he is clueless about needing something to receive email is hilarious)