Sean Connery, Oscar Winner and James Bond Star, Dies at 90

In the real world
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Sean Connery, Oscar Winner and James Bond Star, Dies at 90

Post by Nutso »

https://variety.com/2020/film/actors/se ... 234820498/
Sean Connery, the Scottish-born actor who rocketed to fame as James Bond and became one of the franchise’s most popular and enduring international stars, has died. He was 90.

Connery, long regarded as one of the best actors to have portrayed the iconic spy, was knighted by Queen Elizabeth II in 2000 and marked his 90th birthday in August. His death was confirmed by his family, according to the BBC, which notes that the actor died in his sleep while in the Bahamas. It’s believed he had been unwell for some time. His last acting role had been in Stephen Norrington’s “The League of Extraordinary Gentleman” (2003).

Connery was an audience favorite for more than 40 years and one of the screen’s most reliable and distinctive leading men. The actor was recently voted the best James Bond actor in an August Radio Times poll in the U.K. More than 14,000 voted and Connery claimed 56% of the vote.

However, Connery — who made his debut in the first Bond film, “Dr. No” (1962) — also transcended Ian Fleming’s sexy Agent 007, and went on to distinguish himself with a long and mature career in such films as “The Wind and the Lion” (1975), “The Man Who Would Be King” (1975) and “Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade” (1989).

His turn as a tough Irish cop in Depression-era Chicago in Brian De Palma’s “The Untouchables” (1987) brought him a supporting actor Oscar.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Sean Connery, Oscar Winner and James Bond Star, Dies at 90

Post by T'Pau »

My cinematic heart is broken. Such a classic leading man on screen.

Time to choose films for a retrospective. Tough choices to be sure.
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

He was my Bond. I also did enjoy him in other movies, such as the Rock, Dragonheart, hell even Darby O'Gill and the Little People!
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

The Rock is one of my fav movies. RIP
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

The Name of the Rose

Sean Connery played a monk who was trying to solve a mystery (dead body found underneath a window that could not be opened). He solves that easily, but soon there are other murders.

Christian Slater had nothing but praise for his co-star Sean Connery. He described working with Connory "like having a master class in acting, life, all sorts of things. He's an incredible professional, a real gentleman, a man's man." He also said that Connery was extremely involved in every detail of filming, and at one point scolded the on-set horse wrangler for mistreating the animals.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:31 am ...even Darby O'Gill and the Little People!
Crap, the banshee in that film scared me!!! <shudder>

I watched Bond from Dr. No through to Spectre, one after the other a few years ago. Damn, what a dashing spy!

My guilty pleasure film is still Hunt for Red October. Best toupee of his career and a handsome uniform.

Dragonheart, his brief appearance uncredited as Richard at the end of Robin Hood Prince of Thieves, Indiana Jones III, The Rock, Medicine Man, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Untouchables, Entrapment, Presidio, The Man who would be King, Robin and Marian, First Knight....I could go on and on but those are what hit my mental rolodex at this moment.

Oh, and who can forget Zardoz!!!
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

T'Pau wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:44 pm
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:31 am ...even Darby O'Gill and the Little People!
Crap, the banshee in that film scared me!!! <shudder>
Same. That thing was pure nightmare fuel.

Oh, and who can forget Zardoz!!!
Hopefully all of us. :P