Post by Nutso »

"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Star Trek Day 2020 | Deep Space Nine Panel

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

I agree with what Terri said, I always identified with Spock (and more so Data) because they were on the outside, they were obviously different from the rest and out of place. I was more like Data in that I often feel I am far less than Human, and I always longed to fit in, until I eventually saw the value of my uniqueness and came to embrace it.

Deep Space 9 is my favourite Star Trek show for a number of reasons. I love most of the different Star trek iterations, less so the post-Voyager stuff, though the only show I will never watch is the "Lower Decks", but Deep Space 9 will always hold a special place for me. It had powerful female roles, dabbled with sexuality, covered racism, and so on. And being a station in one place (mostly), it was better able to develop the major species involved, particularly the Cardassians, Bajorans, and Ferengi.

I went to my first (and so far only) convention in 2018 and managed to meet both Alexander Siddig and René Auberjonois. It was my sole intention to get Alexander's autograph, as he was my Star Trek crush growing up, and even wacthing Deep Space 9 I still feel that. I was so glad to meet him, and thankful that I met René before he passed away. I even got a picture of me with a Klingon, and also me in command of the Enterprise D (though in the wrong uniform at the time). And heard a talk with Nana and René. I heard one with Shatner, but that was less impressive for me.

Also, as Cirroc said, it was lovely to see the friendships between such different species and personalities blossom and grow, and to bridge the gap between cultures. Both Bashir / Garak (one of my favourite dynamics, and seemingly a fan favourite), and also Nog and Jake. It was lovely also to see the development of Rom from a bumbling second rate Ferengi to a technical expert creating his own life away from Quark's bar, and then to Grand Nagus, and I loved seeing the evolution of the other cast members, I feel Deep Space 9 was one of the best for how it's characters evolved over time.

I was saddened to hear of both René's and Aron's deaths. It is lovely to hear how the other's talk about and remember them.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."