Truth OR Myth? Shady Starfleet

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Truth OR Myth? Shady Starfleet

Post by Nutso »

Another one of the arguments by the Haters of "New Trek," is what they perceive to be a Shady Starfleet with in canon done by the new series. As from their reasoning Starfleet and the United Federation of Planets in Old Trek was ALWAYS upstanding and filled with integrity... So this got me wondering, is that position true? Well today we find out!
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: Truth OR Myth? Shady Starfleet

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Always upstanding? Did they MISS The undiscovered Country?!
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:59 pm Always upstanding? Did they MISS The undiscovered Country?!
I don't understand why there's a Starfleet Purity Test running among some of the fandom but, that is a lousy reason to hate Star Trek, old or new.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Nutso wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:10 pm
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:59 pm Always upstanding? Did they MISS The undiscovered Country?!
I don't understand why there's a Starfleet Purity Test running among some of the fandom but, that is a lousy reason to hate Star Trek, old or new.
Maybe a leftover from the Roddenberry and TNG days. Humans and the Federation don't do those sort of things. Cue the cloaking device argument.

The only thing I can say is that Section 31 in DS9 sounded plausible in the context that maybe not every Starfleet officer is an upstanding citizen of the Federation and feels like they are being handcuffed to those really high ideals. Section 31 could have easily been part of the Pegasus cloaking device mission for example.

Discovery I didn't like they were that open about it.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"