The Forgotten Ships of Star Trek: The Next Generation

The Next Generation
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

The Forgotten Ships of Star Trek: The Next Generation

Post by Nutso »

This just reminds me of discovering this site in the 90's. Learning about the Nebula class, it's variants, the other kitbashes like the New Orleans Class or that Yeager Class. I remember coming on here to learn about the Negh'Var class, and being stunned that the Mirror, Mirror version was 4500km. Not out of disbelief but that that data-point made sense based on what we see in the episode. I used to print out entire pages because back then that was faster that revisiting the site and re-downloading the images with that old dial-up modem.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Forgotten Ships of Star Trek: The Next Generation

Post by IanKennedy »

Nutso wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:00 am This just reminds me of discovering this site in the 90's. Learning about the Nebula class, it's variants, the other kitbashes like the New Orleans Class or that Yeager Class. I remember coming on here to learn about the Negh'Var class, and being stunned that the Mirror, Mirror version was 4500km. Not out of disbelief but that that data-point made sense based on what we see in the episode. I used to print out entire pages because back then that was faster that revisiting the site and re-downloading the images with that old dial-up modem.
Gosh those were the days. 9600 baud modems. We were so happy when the 56.6Kb/s ones came about. Now my house has 300Mb/s always on cable modem, which I could upgrade to 500Mb/s.
email, ergo spam
AlexMcpherson79
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

IanKennedy wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:52 am
Nutso wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:00 am This just reminds me of discovering this site in the 90's. Learning about the Nebula class, it's variants, the other kitbashes like the New Orleans Class or that Yeager Class. I remember coming on here to learn about the Negh'Var class, and being stunned that the Mirror, Mirror version was 4500km. Not out of disbelief but that that data-point made sense based on what we see in the episode. I used to print out entire pages because back then that was faster that revisiting the site and re-downloading the images with that old dial-up modem.
Gosh those were the days. 9600 baud modems. We were so happy when the 56.6Kb/s ones came about. Now my house has 300Mb/s always on cable modem, which I could upgrade to 500Mb/s.
Ah, the joy of Virgin Media's Internet :P I'm on 200Mbps myself.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I remember the days of finding this site among fan Trek sites that had geocities pop-ups. Or poor design. That this along with Bearnd's site and the failed Utopia Plantia site.

Or that I was looking at this site among others using a basic library internet and computer setup where whole sites were broken down by pages that you can easily get lost in due to no pictures and page layout.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

McAvoy wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:56 am I remember the days of finding this site among fan Trek sites that had geocities pop-ups. Or poor design. That this along with Bearnd's site and the failed Utopia Plantia site.

Or that I was looking at this site among others using a basic library internet and computer setup where whole sites were broken down by pages that you can easily get lost in due to no pictures and page layout.
For me, it was this site, and StarShipSchematics.net. I didn't give a damn about anything else but Star Trek and Babylon 5 when it came to researching on the internet. There was Dragonball Z, and Gundam Wing but I never researched into them. Star Trek and B5 was where it was at.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Nutso wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:16 am
McAvoy wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:56 am I remember the days of finding this site among fan Trek sites that had geocities pop-ups. Or poor design. That this along with Bearnd's site and the failed Utopia Plantia site.

For me, it was this site, and StarShipSchematics.net. I didn't give a damn about anything else but Star Trek and Babylon 5 when it came to researching on the internet. There was Dragonball Z, and Gundam Wing but I never researched into them. Star Trek and B5 was where it was at.
Shipschematics.net was my thing at the time too. Even though the fan made ships made absolutely no sense whatsoever.

I was big in DBZ too. But I actually held myself back because I didn't want to be spoiled. I was really relying on the English language dubbed versions as my own. Mind you, i was one of those who caught Ocean Dub in its initial run before they reset back to the beginning. So I was able to catch episodes that I missed before. DBZ for me started with Nappa beating everyone then kept on talking about Goku who could beat them. That was my first experience in DBZ.

Trek wise. I was answering posts back when Message in a Bottle aired. I remember how people commented how different the sickbay looked. But I was there before that. I was reading stiff about a new series after TNG.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"