Christopher Eccleston returns as Ninth Doctor with Big Finish

Griffin
Commander
Commander

Christopher Eccleston returns as Ninth Doctor with Big Finish

Post by Griffin »

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/christ ... doctor-who
Big Finish Productions, in association with BBC Studios, today announces the long-awaited return of Christopher Eccleston to the popular role he originated on television.

First seen on screen in 2005, Christopher Eccleston’s Ninth Doctor introduced a whole new generation of sci-fi fans to the TARDIS, Time Lords and sonic screwdriver.

Now he's back in a brand-new series of twelve fantastic full-cast audio adventures in time and space, due to be released across four box sets, starting with volume one in May 2021.

Christopher Eccleston said: “After 15 years it will be exciting to revisit the Ninth Doctor's world, bringing back to life a character I love playing.”

Story details, writers and additional guest cast are being kept under wraps at present but this Doctor Who audio series promises to be, once again, the trip of a lifetime.

Doctor Who fans worldwide can now pre-order all four volumes, which are available in three formats – collector’s edition CD, digital download or limited edition gatefold triple LP vinyl.

Big Finish’s Chairman, Jason Haigh-Ellery said: “I first talked to Christopher about returning to the role of the Doctor at the Gallifrey One convention in February this year. Christopher said he was enjoying meeting the fans and was pleased that his Doctor was remembered so fondly. He indicated he would be open to discussing a project with Big Finish.

“And then the pandemic happened and time moved both quickly and very slowly. Over recent months, ideas have been exchanged and discussions had. I am so pleased that Christopher has decided to return to the role with us – and I'm excited to welcome him to the Big Finish family as we discover the new adventures of the Ninth Doctor.”

Big Finish’s Creative Director, Nicholas Briggs, added: “Working with Chris was a very special time for me. The beginning of my Doctor Who TV career. So, writing for and directing him feels incredibly exciting. He’s such a powerful performer and it’ll be amazing to work with him again.”

Each of the four volumes in Doctor Who: The Ninth Doctor Adventures will be released as a 4-disc collector’s edition box set or download containing three brand-new full cast audio adventures, plus a selection of behind-the-scenes extras.

Doctor Who: The Ninth Doctor Adventures is now available for pre-order exclusively HERE from just £19.99.

Big Finish listeners can save by pre-ordering a bundle of the entire series for just £88 (as a collector’s edition box set) or £78 (as a download).

Doctor Who: The Ninth Doctor Adventures triple LP vinyls are strictly limited to a pressing of 1,000 per volume, and can be pre-ordered at £35.99 each, or £132 for the bundle of all four albums, Grab the vinyls HERE. Please note: the vinyl editions do not include the behind-the-scenes extras, but all vinyl pre-orders will come with a download version, and access to the behind the scenes interviews as bonus content. Downloads of the vinyls will not be available to buy separately.
https://www.bigfinish.com/ranges/v/doct ... adventures
Christopher Eccleston to return as Doctor Who's Ninth Doctor after 15 years
By Morgan Jeffery

It’s actually, really happening – Christopher Eccleston is set to play the Ninth Doctor again, making his long-awaited Doctor Who comeback after 15 years.

Eccleston, who departed Doctor Who after a single series in 2005, will return to star in a new series of 12 full-cast adventures from audio drama producers Big Finish.

These stories will be divided across four box sets, starting with volume one in May 2021.

Eccleston said: “After 15 years it will be exciting to revisit the Ninth Doctor’s world, bringing back to life a character I love playing.”

Big Finish’s Chairman, Jason Haigh-Ellery, revealed that he’d first approached the actor about returning to the role of the Doctor at a fan convention in February. “Christopher said he was enjoying meeting the fans and was pleased that his Doctor was remembered so fondly.

“I am so pleased that Christopher has decided to return to the role with us – and I’m excited to welcome him to the Big Finish family as we discover the new adventures of the Ninth Doctor.”

Eccleston was Doctor Who’s leading man when the series made its grand relaunch in 2005. He departed the show after an initial series of 13 episodes, later claiming that his relationship with his “three immediate superiors… broke down irreparably” during filming.

He also turned down an opportunity to reprise the Ninth Doctor for the show’s 50th anniversary special in 2013, but in his memoir published last year, Eccleston spoke positively about his relationship with Doctor Who fans and how this had “healed” him.

“These days, I feel nothing but positive about the show, to the extent I have even started doing conventions, something I’d been wary of because I always wanted to earn my money from acting,” he wrote. “People bring memorabilia from across my whole career, which makes me feel good about my work and also about myself. It has healed something in me.

“Forget producers, forget politics – here are real people who have seen me do my stuff and want to shake my hand.”

Each of the four volumes in Doctor Who: The Ninth Doctor Adventures will be released as a 4-disc collector’s edition box set or download containing three brand-new full cast audio adventures, plus a selection of behind-the-scenes extras.

Doctor Who fans worldwide can now pre-order all four volumes, which are available in three formats – collector’s edition CD, digital download or limited edition gatefold triple LP vinyl (limited to a pressing of 1000 per volume) – exclusively from the Big Finish website.

More details, including guest cast and writers involved, will be announced in the near future. But for now, we think you’ll agree this new is pretty darn “Fantastic!”.
I'd gotten my hopes up a little since he started doing interviews and going to conventions, but even so it's still a massive surprise. And not even for a one-off, a whole twelve adventures! Colour me excited.
Bite my shiny metal ass
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Christopher Eccleston returns as Ninth Doctor with Big Finish

Post by T'Pau »

Interesting! To think they thought he as too old to place the Doctor but didn't flinch about Capaldi!
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

T'Pau wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:51 pmInteresting! To think they thought he as too old to place the Doctor but didn't flinch about Capaldi!
Too old? He was younger than half his predecessors!
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Crazy, right?
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."