Tweak one thing - TNG

The Next Generation
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Tweak one thing - TNG

Post by McAvoy »

I want to start a thing where we talk about if there is one minor thing you could tweak about a series, what would it be. It can't change how the series is handled during its run. But if you could change something about the series that is small, let's hear it.

I nominate: Wesley Crusher. Imagine how this character could have been protrayed as an average to above average Starfleet candidate from the beginning. But keep that aspect that something is different with him. Something the Traveler sees, but overall he seems to be average. Perhaps have a throwaway line from Q saying 'well you are interesting'. You could have Wesley himself play into Q's fears or concerns about humanity.

What if Data's makeup showed a bit more of his artificial nature. Like there are seperation lines on his face for example?
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
AlexMcpherson79
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Tweak one thing - TNG

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

What if... They had the budget to actually deal with the ship sets and props properly, that they couldn't deal with? What I mean is: The Sphinx workbee, the Type 7 Shuttlecraft (the one deanna crashed in, in Skin of Evil and that Wes' friend had a mishap in during that episode, I think, where wes was testing on a random planet for entry into starfleet the first time.)

I mean look at the full-size mockup of the T7, On EAS as DITL doesn't have it (for obvious reasons!)
Imagine they had a Type 7 Full-size Exterior and Interior like they did the Type 6 and Type 15!

In fact, I think shuttlecraft have just been poorly handled throughout pretty much all of Star Trek.

TOS, the classic design looks nice, I admit, but it looks.... too small. Like the physical prop some guys restored show the actual size of the full-size prop. On the one hand, that rear end makes it look like a large portion of the craft is NOT open interior space, vs TMP-era Onward, with the shuttle in Final Frontier, the Type 6 shrunken version of it for TNG, the Type 8 'voyagerised' of the Type 6, the Class II or Type 9 or Type 11 (They really couldn't even handle its name properly!), where I can't help but wonder; where they put the warp drive that ISN'T part of the nacelles. Life Support. Transporter systems (which, on a ship, we know has a MASSIVE base beneath it according to the TM's). Yet the walls, floor and ceiling of the shuttles are barely wider than your typical interior wall of a house.

This also extends to effects shots of the shuttle launching... A minor change to go with this would be, symmetric design of the galaxy, I mean, one bay wider than the other, but no accounting for this in the set? The doors are angled on the exterior model, but interior set they're perfectly vertical, and views from the side gallery shows NOTHING of the ship (for obvious reasons).

Imagine if they had the budget to create say... not just the 6ft (and later 4ft) model, but portions of the ship in a larger scale, to get proper highly-detailed closeups. The physical space to create larger Corridor sets with multi-purpose rooms. actually show shuttlebay one, though yes, as a large-scale miniature.

This would extend to DS9. The Danube class would be bigger, as would the station itself (scale it up, THEN alter the windows to SHOW it's much bigger, because, seriously, only two galor class can dock at any one time in that tiny space between the three upper docking pylons' docking ports. Size it so even with the same identical design, only change being the windows on the model, of course, ALL of the pylon's can accomodate ships!). There would, actually, be details regarding Cargo Bays with doors to space, Several shuttle bays, not just the runabout pads, of which there are only six? and Three used by starfleet's runabouts?

The Runabouts WOULD be larger, but not by much. One Person could very well fly them, get away with two. I actually rather like the Raven class, but slightly redesign to be a two-deck, say... 50 metre long ship, and shift the nacelles down a bit (and create a gap near the rear so the nacelles obey the 'fifty-percent visibility' rule gene originally set). Deck Two would be the engineering deck, Deck One the 'habitat' deck - Cockpit (or, Bridge, it's a full-fledge starship), docking airlock, crew quarters for the bridge crew, and in the wider rear section, three columns of rooms with two corridors running parallel between them. State rooms repurposeable on the outer, multi-function labs within. A TINY shuttlebay at the rear for two Type 15 Shuttlepods (orbit to surface/return ONLY) and a Type 6. Crew and Passenger capacities of say, 8 crew, 16 crew? Really make use of background characters/etc, and not be as ridiculous as "Galaxy plus two runabouts"! like seriously, runabouts are WAAAY outclassed by even ONE Dominion bugship.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

One small thing?

give Troi a proper uniform from the start. Hell, make sure the uniforms they're wearing don't cause back problems!
AlexMcpherson79
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

in-universe, They wouldn't, but as a Television production... yeah that was bad. And didn't the actress use Chain of Command in order to do that? Though yes, not wearing the uniform during sessions could make sense...

Though Really, why they made the character a senior bridge officer... oh lord. I'd have a regular, but not a B.O., just like Crusher wasn't, even though as the CMO, she technically Outranks Picard.. or any admirals that come aboard and decide to take command because Picard's being a stubborn Man who can shut the fu-

... .... No. Nooo!! THE LINE!!.... HEREE.... NO.... Fu....

starts getting shakes and clearly suffering PTSD from the abortion that was STP.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

AlexMcpherson79 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:17 am in-universe, They wouldn't, but as a Television production... yeah that was bad. And didn't the actress use Chain of Command in order to do that? Though yes, not wearing the uniform during sessions could make sense...

Though Really, why they made the character a senior bridge officer... oh lord. I'd have a regular, but not a B.O., just like Crusher wasn't, even though as the CMO, she technically Outranks Picard.. or any admirals that come aboard and decide to take command because Picard's being a stubborn Man who can shut the fu-

starts getting shakes and clearly suffering PTSD from the abortion that was STP.

Okay, Alex? You all right?
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

AlexMcpherson79 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:17 am in-universe, They wouldn't, but as a Television production... yeah that was bad. And didn't the actress use Chain of Command in order to do that? Though yes, not wearing the uniform during sessions could make sense...

One of the more longer lasting effects of Gene's involvements with TNG. The idea was pretty much dropped until they needed a reason for Ezri Dax to stay on DS9.

I always had this idea that each captain would have his or her ship crew setup the way he or she liked it. That Starfleet gave alot of leeway to their Captains. So maybe it was Picard who wanted an empathic counselor on the bridge and she didn't need to wear the uniform. Jellico kept her on the bridge but preferred her to be in uniform.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"