(U.S.) Evictions are likely to skyrocket this summer as jobs remain scarce

In the real world
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

(U.S.) Evictions are likely to skyrocket this summer as jobs remain scarce

Post by Nutso »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... -starwood/
A backlog of eviction cases is beginning to move through the court system as millions of Americans who had counted on federal aid and eviction moratoriums to stay in their homes now fear being thrown out.

A crisis among renters is expected to deepen this month as the enhanced unemployment benefits that have kept many afloat run out at the end of July and the $1,200-per-adult stimulus payment that had supported households earlier in the crisis becomes a distant memory.

Meanwhile, enforcement of federal moratoriums on some types of evictions is uneven, with experts warning that judges’ efforts to limit access to courtrooms or hold hearings online because of covid-19 could increasingly leave elderly or poor renters at a disadvantage.

Of the 110 million Americans living in rental households, 20 percent are at risk of eviction by Sept. 30, according to an analysis by the Covid-19 Eviction Defense Project, a Colorado-based community group. African American and Hispanic renters are expected to be hardest hit.

Judge Yvonne Williams, glasses snuggled tight to the blue mask covering most of her face, peered into the camera in her Texas courtroom recently to press a renter about the more than $4,000 she owed her landlord.

“What do you have toward the rent?” Williams asked.

The renter appeared on another shaky screen from a dark room and explained that she had been furloughed as the spread of the novel coronavirus shut down much of the U.S. economy. But she had three kids and nowhere to go, the renter said, and was working to raise the money, which included more than $1,000 in late fees.

“I have heard almost 60 cases so far, and this is everybody’s problem,” Williams responded before approving the eviction.

FAQ: What you need to know about paying your June rent or mortgage

Like many other aspects of the pandemic and ensuing recession, the evictions are expected to hurt people of color most.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: (U.S.) Evictions are likely to skyrocket this summer as jobs remain scarce

Post by McAvoy »

Not sure about other states. My in NJ you have unexployment pay and then there is a $600 additional payment added on to it with the potential of $1200 per week. Honestly, you should be fine if you are making that per week. Maybe cut down on additional expenses, make some food last longer (smaller portions) etc.

Someone like me, I am making more money being furloughed than when I was working (after taxes I mean). Of course I want to go back to work because I am going stir crazy.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"