Siberia is on fire

In the real world
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Siberia is on fire

Post by Nutso »

https://www.sciencealert.com/so-i-don-t ... is-on-fire
Russian Emergencies Minister Evgeny Zinichev has said that in Krasnoyarsk, 10 times as much territory was ablaze on April 27 compared to the same time last year, while in Transbaikal it was three times, and in the Amur region it was one and a half times as much.

In the Transbaikal region alone, this amounts to 200,000 hectares burnt – a larger area than the whole island of Maui, Hawaii.

And unfortunately, the cause is likely the worst mix of climate change, and COVID-19 cabin fever.

According to authorities, the fires have originated from a variety of sources, including out-of-control agricultural fires, arson, and untended campfires.

"People self-isolated outdoors and forgot about fire safety rules," says Sergei Anoprienko, head of the federal forest agency Rosleskhoz.

"In some regions, the temperature is already around 30 degrees C [86 degrees F], and people just can't keep themselves in their apartments."

"People rushed outdoors, and as a result we have a surge of thermal points," he added.
Siberia experiences hottest spring on record, fueling wildfires
A few hundred miles south of the Arctic Circle, the small town of Boguchany in Siberia, Russia, had its hottest April on record. On April 25, the temperature soared to 31° Celsius (87.8° Fahrenheit), even though it should be much cooler at this time of the year.

Other parts of Siberia, and the greater continent of Asia, also experienced record heat. On April 27, the temperature in Tokmak, Kyrgyzstan, reached 35.1°C (95.2°F), while at Ayding Lake, China, the temperature peaked at 43.5°C (110.3°F). Over the past few months, Europe has also been dealing with abnormal heat during its warmest winter on record.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Siberia is on fire

Post by 00111010 01000100 »

In other news, swimsuits and sunscreen lotion sales are skyrocketing.
“Pull a stunt like this again and I’ll court marshal you... or promote you. Either way you’ll be in big trouble”
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

00111010 01000100 wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:07 am In other news, swimsuits and sunscreen lotion sales are skyrocketing.
Always look on the bright side of life! :lol:
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

And keep an eye out for the Spanish Inquisition..."What a day, what a day, for an auto da fey! "(Candide)
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by 00111010 01000100 »

T'Pau wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:00 pm And keep an eye out for the Spanish Inquisition..."What a day, what a day, for an auto da fey! "(Candide)
I prefer the musical.
“The inquisition (what a show), the inquisition (here we go), you’re wishin that we would go awaaaaaaay”.
~History Of The World Part 1
“Pull a stunt like this again and I’ll court marshal you... or promote you. Either way you’ll be in big trouble”
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

00111010 01000100 wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:53 am
T'Pau wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:00 pm And keep an eye out for the Spanish Inquisition..."What a day, what a day, for an auto da fey! "(Candide)
I prefer the musical.
“The inquisition (what a show), the inquisition (here we go), you’re wishin that we would go awaaaaaaay”.
~History Of The World Part 1
I like both, not really a preference for either.

As for the actual topic, yikes!