Post by Nutso »

"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: What is Gold-Pressed Latinum worth?

Post by 00111010 01000100 »

I’ve often wondered about this. That little dribble morn spits into the glass for quark, quark remarks that equal to 100 bars of latnium. Earlier, that the gold dust (latnium is suspended in) is worthless.
“Pull a stunt like this again and I’ll court marshal you... or promote you. Either way you’ll be in big trouble”
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

The theory I alway heard was that Latinum was the one thing that couldn't be replicated. It was also rare, thus valuable to those who care about owning rare things.
email, ergo spam
AlexMcpherson79
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

I always read "cannot be replicated" to be an incomplete sentence, in that most of 'those' actually can be replicated, they're just very energy-intensive to do so. forget which is which: endo- and exo-thermic reactions, but 'easy to replicate' is one of those, and 'difficult to replicate' is the other. the more energy needed to form atomic bonds, the less room in energy-bandwidth to play with, aka "1 standard replicator has a base mass material of _kg per second and _megawhateverunitissuitabletorepresentpowerdeliverycapability" and clothes are like, waaay on the "you could in half a second replicate enough clothes to fill the replication pad/bay" and industrial parts like duranium hull plating... well you hit the limit of how much mass is brought to bear and/or power before you could physically fill that bay in said half-a-second.... so in regards to that half a second or one-second replication process, you have materials that take so little as to reach the physical replication area limit, materials that meet both, and materials that hit one or the other limit before filling the pad.

But Latinum, or "Gold-pressed Latinum", whatever it is in the future, involves a complex <insert science here that explains why it'd be energy-intensive>, so even just one 'slip' of GPL would take like, thirty seconds of using the full energy bandwidth instead of the 2-3 seconds of normal replication.

I'd headcanon that the Federation does in fact replicate such materials for the purpose of interactions with societies that still utilize money, but for solely-within the federation, any currency is largely superficial. For any one starship, the energy requirements are prohibitive on the replication system - either doing it quickly would cause overload conditions outside of machinery tolerances, or the *time* requirement for replication are prohibitively long. like... a food replicator would be out of commission for food for "quite some time". So the "sliver" that Morn coughed up? Lets say that's at LEAST a week to replicate... with an Industrial Replicator... in almost power overload condition.

The Power requirements of normal replication being high enough to justify, of course, the use of M/AM reactors and an 'EPS' power grid instead of Fusion Reactors and good-old-fashioned copper electrical wires.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Well how much does Quark charge for a drink? We can assume that it is potentially of equal of value of what we charge today.

Just an assumption of course. For all we know a slip is like a half dollar or a $20.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
AlexMcpherson79
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

To answer your question of, "how much does Qu-" Asmuchashecangetawaywith,he'saferengi.

Oh, right, I was supposed to finish quoting your question.

... But, it's... Quark. The answer will ALWAYS be "As much as he can get away with." That renders the "value" of the drink and therefore of the currency up in the air. He might charge a klingon two slips of latinum for bloodwine one day, or a strip the next, he's a, "People person", and part of that means he gets a read on the customer so he guesses what he'll get away with. Harry Kim? "Here is your prune juice, That will be five strips. What you think I replicated it? You Hoomans don't seem to like replicated food or drink, I have to import these freshly-made, which has a co- thank you for your business. *quietly* sucker born every minute."

Worf? "Prunce Juice? HAHAH!.... okay. You're the customer. two slips, Discounted because I found it funny, and you didn't immediately kill me for it. Wait, I wasn't supposed to say that part."

Rom?
"But Brother, you charged Chief O'Brien four slips yesterday!"

"Because HE fixed my replicator while YOU were busy oggling Leeta instead of DOING your JOB! One Favour for One Discount! Next time, unless I tell you, you will charge him full price..."

".... uh...."

"... Anything above '10 slips'."

"Right... Uh..."

"... just... go. Rom. *quietly* I swear he gets dummer everytime he sees Leeta...... well that kind of is her job..."
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

McAvoy wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:23 pm Well how much does Quark charge for a drink? We can assume that it is potentially of equal of value of what we charge today.

Just an assumption of course. For all we know a slip is like a half dollar or a $20.
I always wonder what the Starfleet personnel are buying drinks with as its stated by Picard, there is no money in the future, to which she replies, “no money!? You mean you don’t get paid??”. Picard -> We work to better ourselves. All their wants and needs are provided for so the accumulation of wealth would be a bygone fashion. But then again. DS9 did break and remake a lot of rules.
“Pull a stunt like this again and I’ll court marshal you... or promote you. Either way you’ll be in big trouble”
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

00111010 01000100 wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:18 am
McAvoy wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:23 pm Well how much does Quark charge for a drink? We can assume that it is potentially of equal of value of what we charge today.

I always wonder what the Starfleet personnel are buying drinks with as its stated by Picard, there is no money in the future, to which she replies, “no money!? You mean you don’t get paid??”. Picard -> We work to better ourselves. All their wants and needs are provided for so the accumulation of wealth would be a bygone fashion. But then again. DS9 did break and remake a lot of rules.
I figured they get an allowance so they can buy stuff from merchants that require currency. Federation credits for example.

Yeah they get paid. It's just that everything else is taken cared of.

I also doubt the whole Federation is like this either. I don't know if it was ever mentioned, but was it ever said a money-less economy was required to be a member of the Federation?
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

McAvoy wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:39 am
00111010 01000100 wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:18 am

I figured they get an allowance so they can buy stuff from merchants that require currency. Federation credits for example.

Yeah they get paid. It's just that everything else is taken cared of.

I also doubt the whole Federation is like this either. I don't know if it was ever mentioned, but was it ever said a money-less economy was required to be a member of the Federation?

Not that I’ve ever heard them say? And I pretty much just re-watch the all series over and over again. Maybe in print.. a novel perhaps.
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

IanKennedy wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:55 pm The theory I alway heard was that Latinum was the one thing that couldn't be replicated. It was also rare, thus valuable to those who care about owning rare things.
Oh, oh, oooh! I heard of something else that “can’t be replicated” the other night. O’Brien is trying to repair the plasma manifolds on the DS9 station.

SISKO: Can you replicate a new one?
O'BRIEN: No. Cardassian manifolds use a beta-matrix compositor which can't be replicated.

So there are TWO things those magical machines cannot make! 🤔
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Ah, but is the second one rare? If it's commonplace then it's not valuable. At least not outside of any normal utility it has.
email, ergo spam
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

IanKennedy wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:24 pm Ah, but is the second one rare? If it's commonplace then it's not valuable. At least not outside of any normal utility it has.
Ahaha! Well played.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I do wonder if latinum has a value outside from being a economy standard. Like gold can be used for many things and is still important in electronics.