Fear, DS9, TV-PG ratings, and Netflix

Deep Space Nine
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Fear, DS9, TV-PG ratings, and Netflix

Post by 00111010 01000100 »

As I mentioned in a different post, I'm burning through the DS9 seasons again on Netflix and something has been bugging me since I started. At the beginning of every episode, Netflix pops up the parental guidance warnings in the top left hand of the screen (I say its Netflix and not the show as I've paused episodes to screenshot the cautions, only to have them not appear unless I hit the play button again). Here's the caution; Violence, sex, nudity, fear, substances, language, and gore.

Violence: OK, yeah sure. Space battle, people dying, fights, occasional blooded Worf face.

Sex: .... I do not recall any actual scenes? maybe preludes of it like doors shutting with people kissing and then time transitions to later with said persons in bed or leaving the place they were in? but actual scenes? Kira's Orb experience is the only possible one that comes to mind of her having a vision of being nude and the vedik guy being behind her but they never actually do anything and we never see anything below shoulder level soooo. Anyone else think this is an exaggeration of the term as they never actually show anyone going at it?

Nudity: see the kira scene above but really... I cannot think of a single episode that even showed a naked behind? bare backs sure but lets keep this to just DS9 episodes. Any episodes come to anyone else's mind of legit -> yeah, that was nude.

Fear: See also, basic human emotion, drive to survive, key component in primitive human psych.... why is this a caution???? lol. anyone else feel what I'm saying here. When did a basic human emotion become a parental guidance? whats next: rated PG-13 for nudity, violence, and hunger. **warning this TV show could make you hungry**

Substances: ketracel white? and a finite number of imaginary substances which have no basis or medical fact in the real world... but hey.. Fictional substance abuse is clearly something to warn your kids about, "beware doing that imaginary drug son.. its all down hill afterwards!".

language: ......? klingon swear words... maybe? I suppose if we go to the 1900's, "dammit", "my god", "oh no", could be called vulgar... but this show never dropped F-bombs or Sugar-Honey-Ice-Tea's.

Gore: sigh.. gore.. really? "oh man, that yellow/red/blue shirt guy has a blood stain on his outfit... oh my, so gory. cover your kids eyes!". double sigh.

conclusion-> another example of societies Over-sensitivity to every little thing and how it will affect the children. I would GLADLY share and watch these shows with my kids, they have so many things to teach and show and enjoy! better this than almost ANY show on TV today, that I will argue to the end.
“Pull a stunt like this again and I’ll court marshal you... or promote you. Either way you’ll be in big trouble”
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Fear, DS9, TV-PG ratings, and Netflix

add-on: I would've mentioned Alcohol as in a few episodes they do talk about and are shown drinking Bourbon scotch, ect. However, that wouldn't fall under substance/substance abuse but rather Alcohol... Shhhhss don't tell netflix, they'll add it to the warnings!
“Pull a stunt like this again and I’ll court marshal you... or promote you. Either way you’ll be in big trouble”
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

00111010 01000100 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:28 amadd-on: I would've mentioned Alcohol as in a few episodes they do talk about and are shown drinking Bourbon scotch, ect. However, that wouldn't fall under substance/substance abuse but rather Alcohol... Shhhhss don't tell netflix, they'll add it to the warnings!
The only one that really springs to mind is O'Brien and Bashir getting utterly shit-faced and singing Jerusalem.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Captain Seafort wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:14 pm
00111010 01000100 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:28 amadd-on: I would've mentioned Alcohol as in a few episodes they do talk about and are shown drinking Bourbon scotch, ect. However, that wouldn't fall under substance/substance abuse but rather Alcohol... Shhhhss don't tell netflix, they'll add it to the warnings!
The only one that really springs to mind is O'Brien and Bashir getting utterly shit-faced and singing Jerusalem.
Haha Yep. Remember the episode that O’Brien pulls the bottle from behind the bar and reads the date, bashir responds, “that was before I was born”. O’Brien stares at him in shock and says, “I’m drinking with a child”. Hehe
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Captain Seafort wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:14 pm
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park