The Treaty of Algeron

Deep Space Nine
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

The Treaty of Algeron

Post by 00111010 01000100 »

The Treaty of Algeron, which strictly forbids the Federation from developing or deploying any cloaking technology.
((Yes, DS9 played loosey goosey with the rules but still worth a laugh!))
O'BRIEN: What about pulse mines? We could equip them with variable geometry detonators.
DAX: Not good enough. Dominion ships can wait at the mouth of the wormhole and pick them off one by one.
O'BRIEN: What if we cloaked them?
DAX: Cloaking doesn't always work against the Dominion.
O'BRIEN: Maybe cloaked ships don't, but I'm thinking a lot smaller. Each mine no more than a metre across.
DAX: Mines that small don't have a lot of power. It would take dozens of them to disable a warship. We'd run out of mines before they ran out of ships. Rom, are you here?
ROM: Cloak. Small. Dozens. I heard every word.
Somewhere, Jean Luc Picard is holding his head and shaking it in a “no..” motion while somewhere else Admiral Erik Pressman is wearing a HUGE smile. While somewhere else in our universe, a writer notices the error and yells at his laptop to, “quickly! run Sisko Program 1-9-7!”.
Last edited by 00111010 01000100 on Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Pull a stunt like this again and I’ll court marshal you... or promote you. Either way you’ll be in big trouble”
AlexMcpherson79
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: The Treaty of Algeron

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

I'm somewhat sure that it was about developing and deploying their own... nothing about "using someone elses" hence the defiant's cloak being a romulan device, and maybe Martok got them klingon cloaking for the mines?
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Greetings Alex79, I didn’t think anyone else was up at this hour.. well, time zone depending.
“Pull a stunt like this again and I’ll court marshal you... or promote you. Either way you’ll be in big trouble”
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

I considered that too (replication of the loaned Defiants cloaking device), it would’ve filled in the grey area of legally not creating their “own” cloaking tech. The deployment of cloaking tech (wormhole minefield) is still up to the trek-litigators though. ;)
AlexMcpherson79
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

Well... Maybe they got around by claiming it was "at the behest of the bajorans, some Vedek Veafuck Idontgi" :)
:D
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Is it possible that the Romulans somewhere off screen basically gave up on the Treaty of Algeron?

Or considering it was literal start of the War, Federation figured better to ask for forgiveness then permission.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

The Romulans could have been seeing it as two options:
1) If the Federation wins, the Romulans ask for the design and damages (based on the number of cloaked mines). Damages can be repaid via transferring a number of Federation or Cardassian worlds to Romulan control
2) If the Federation loses, well, nobody for the Romulans to complain to
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

AlexMcpherson79 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:10 am Well... Maybe they got around by claiming it was "at the behest of the bajorans, some Vedek Veafuck Idontgi" :)
:D
Oh that woman....
Curse you Kai Winn! and your evil bending the uses of behesting!

Hahaha
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

McAvoy wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:50 pm Is it possible that the Romulans somewhere off screen basically gave up on the Treaty of Algeron?

Or considering it was literal start of the War, Federation figured better to ask for forgiveness then permission.
Of this... I can only guess as well. Remember the two-parter of “The Search” when the defiant was introduced? There was the romulan officer who’s sole purpose of being onboard was to prevent unauthorized access to the loaned cloaking device. Yeah, she was gone by the next episode following that 2-part episode, never to be seen again.

So maybe they (Romulans) did give up on Algeron, opted to just let the federation do what it wanted to with the one device. As long as it was in the best interest of the alpha quadrant, good-to-go! :). Who knows. I’m actually just about to that episode again on my stroll through the DS9 seasons again and it’s a good episode. I only poked at it as the reaction of Picard to a federation officer being okay with using a cloak and not up holding the treaty “signed in good faith!”, is amusing to me. A show ago, the sheer passion of keeping your oaths changed so dramatically.
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Coalition wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:48 am The Romulans could have been seeing it as two options:
1) If the Federation wins, the Romulans ask for the design and damages (based on the number of cloaked mines). Damages can be repaid via transferring a number of Federation or Cardassian worlds to Romulan control
2) If the Federation loses, well, nobody for the Romulans to complain to
1) I could see that, romulans are definitely characters who come calling for legal damages and financial gains AFTER they are no longer in danger. As Sisko put it, romulans like stand back and pull the strings.
2) They would be happy to bend down to any new masters or deal with the federation allies who are push-overs in political matters.