First Time Seeing This Series

Enterprise
Talondor
Master chief petty officer
Master chief petty officer

First Time Seeing This Series

Post by Talondor »

I've never seen this series before and finally got around to watching it on Netflix. And although I liked it better then Voyager, I probably will not be watching it again. Just did not do it for me. The only episodes I truly would want to watch again are the Mirror Universe two-parter. Loved the way they redid the opening sequence and Cochrane shooting the Vulcan instead of teaching him the handshake. Also liked Hoshi going from Forrest to Archer to T'Pau back to Archer before ending up not only as captain, but Empress.

Also really liked that they for the most part stuck to the core areas of the would-be Federation, spending alot of time engaging with the Vulcans and Andorians. Hated the whole third season with the Xindi and wished they spent more time with the Romulans and Klingons as the villains, setting them up as Kirk's, as well as the Federation's main adversaries. Disappointed that set-up with the Vulcan council member meeting with the Romulan after the Andorian war was averted was not followed up.

The only real question I have is the ship that the Mirror Universe Tholians got from the main universe, the Defiant, was a Kirk-era ship. At least it looked like one. How does this fit into the whole parellel timeline? I always assumed the two universes had the same timeline, in terms of people, tech and such, just events and history were different. Was it a third universe they tapped into super-advanced or tap into the future of the main universe?
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: First Time Seeing This Series

Post by Graham Kennedy »

The Defiant comes from the original series episode "The Tholian Web". In that episode Kirk and the crew find the Defiant drifting in a region of 'interphasic space', where it's kind of drifting in and out of our universe. At the end of the episode the Defiant vanishes and is never seen again.

What this episode says is that it drifted into another universe - the Mirror Universe. But also, apparently, it went back in time a hundred years or more in the process. And that's how this episode starts.

And agreed, it's a great two parter. Had the show gone on, they wanted to revisit the mirror universe each season. Shame it never happened.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

The whole Xindi season long arc from what I have seen is either you like it or you hate it.

For me, I do like it. Simply put, compared to the previous two seasons it felt fresh. It was something new to Trek. I know fans don't like it because of potential continuity issues as something that big would have been mentioned at least in passing.

I do wish they did a fifth season because even though the fourth season was pretty much a mini arc after another at least they were well written.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
bladela
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by bladela »

McAvoy wrote:

I do wish they did a fifth season because even though the fourth season was pretty much a mini arc after another at least they were well written.
they fixed many continuity issue in that season, i would have loved a fifth season.
"in casa dal 4 marzo, come sono felice"
"at home since March 4th, how happy I am"
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by 00111010 01000100 »

McAvoy wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:09 am The whole Xindi season long arc from what I have seen is either you like it or you hate it.

For me, I do like it. Simply put, compared to the previous two seasons it felt fresh. It was something new to Trek. I know fans don't like it because of potential continuity issues as something that big would have been mentioned at least in passing.

I actually liked and hated it. Lol, I’m not trying to be difficult, if I can explain.

The beginning of the xindi conflict/attack on earth was intriguing and stirred the feelings it was supposed to. But as the xindi plot dragged on and on, I noticed they were doing filler episodes and extending out the stories. If the writers had wanted to make it an offshoot of the ent show, it would’ve made sense (like a Maco special of 5-8 episodes dealing with the xindi’s). I can watch the first couple episodes with enthusiasm; the retro-fitting of the ship, the Kilgons surprise at the enhanced armor and firepower, t’pals decision to quit the Vulcan high command and go with enterprise into the expanse. All good plot points! Episodes like commander shran coming to the enterprises assistance and trying to steal the new prototype weapon, the X2 alternate enterprise episode, meh, meh. The resulting, going back into time again. Shattners was probably getting temporal violations jealousy from Archers time hopping exploits!
“Pull a stunt like this again and I’ll court marshal you... or promote you. Either way you’ll be in big trouble”