Post by Nutso »

"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Picard: Why Use Discovery Ships?

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Because it's cheaper than making new ones or using TNG ones.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Because it is a CBS All Access property, which also produces Discovery and seemingly wants to push Picard into their 'universe'.

I would suspect that any other Trek produced by CBSAA, will also be in the Disco universe.

Their version of 'continuity' I suppose.
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
AlexMcpherson79
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

I just don't get some of the design choices that depart the starfleet norm.

Like that one in the thumbnail - the entirety of the warp drive is in the hull. Not main hull. not secondary hull. just... hull. because its one hull.

Now, the Defiant, Steamrunner and Sabre are the closest to that design choice, but all three still treat them as separate structures that the outer hull hides somewhat. The Defiant? Think of the shape if the bulbousity of the housing was instead a smooth transition. The Steamrunner? Why is there a void between the grill parts of the nacelles? Why does the Sabre also have that part of the warp nacelles sticking out from the hull instead of built into the structure?

Whilst That... stupid thing... is like if someone building a very big blimp decided not to place engine nacelle pods outside away from the ship, but directly in front, therefore the flow of air just gets... redirected. not that that's the concern.

We know that the Cardassians dont build with the warp drives having seperate nacelles... but most do. Klingon D7, K'Tinga, Vor'cha and Negh'var ships as well as the Enterprise-era ships (including the ENT-era Bird of Prey) all have fully defined warp engine nacelles. The romulans ships have warp nacelles. I daresay its a mark of efficiency or speed/or something specific, which the Cardassians probably didn't care about. and even their ships, I get the impression that the 'wings' ARE the warp nacelles on the Galor/Keldon, just... a shroud.

at the "starship" size, the only starfleet ship with true "the nacelles are WITHIN fully INTEGRATED into the hull" is the Maquis Raider... but that counts as much as the Holoship does, because they're not actually that big, and the holoship was probably a one-off.

We know from both TNG and Ent that its dangerous inside the warp nacelle when in use - aka big bursts of plasma and powerful magnetic fields generated by the warp coils that can beyond fry a person
it MAKES SENSE that the large assemblages of the coils would therefore be placed in a manner that would be safe for the ship and the crew, unlikely to 'blow back' into the habitable portions of the ship (And if a cardassian gets hurt by such a thing, they shouldn't have been in the shrouded "wing" structure if the ships not in drydock so their fault)
DSG2k
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DSG2k »

Oh, starship continuity, how I miss you. I remember the good old days where you could estimate a ship's age by her features, and even ships as different as the E-D and Voyager plausibly emerged from the same design house. In the Eaves era this is all dead and gone, and if we're honest with ourselves it started with the Enterprise-E.

Given that continuity is irrelevant now, it is not shocking that CBS kept Eaves on.