NCC 1701 USS Enterprise

The Original Series
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: NCC 1701 USS Enterprise

Post by McAvoy »

Not outside the realm of possibility since they do in fact close off hull breaches or shuttle bays with forcefields. Maybe having something as large as a shield bubble is harmful but small forcefields are OK since they only cover a small area?
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

My guess would be that a Starship could modify a shield bubble around the ship to contain an atmosphere, but the issue would be that you have the shields up all the time, 24/7. I doubt a ship could do that for more than a few days.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
AlexMcpherson79
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

Even if they could afford the shield power requirements 24/7, why spend all that power and the attendant necessity of other life support systems, only to endanger anyone 'outside' when you get into a random fight with a Gorn?

and since they DONT have shields up all the time except for transporters/whatever, then they probably can't run them 24/7... though this is not definitive proof, merely "known facts fit within the theory, but are not true supportive evidence".
bladela
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by bladela »

it could be convenient for repairing the hull, simply coming out with magnetic boots but without all the environmental suit.

It is also true that a damaged ship could be the one with the least energy reserves to use for this.
"in casa dal 4 marzo, come sono felice"
"at home since March 4th, how happy I am"