Obi Wan versus Darth Vader fight redone

McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Obi Wan versus Darth Vader fight redone

Post by McAvoy »

Fixed = GK
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Obi Wan versus Darth Vader fight redone

Post by McAvoy »

Maybe one of the admins can fix this. Maybe because I did it on my phone.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

That is very, very well done.

So... if Lucas had done this for the special editions, would people mind? I'd prefer changes like this over sticking random CGI creatures in left and right.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Graham Kennedy wrote:That is very, very well done.

So... if Lucas had done this for the special editions, would people mind? I'd prefer changes like this over sticking random CGI creatures in left and right.
There was an article written on it yesterday. Anyway apparently majority of the fans who have seen it actually like it.

Like if it was incorporated and polished (fix the faces, make it look like part of the film etc), then I have no doubt it would be hated like Who Shot First.

Me personally I would have gotten rid of the lens flares.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I dunno about that, actually. The trouble fans have with "Han shot first" is that it played directly in to the character arc. Han shooting first demonstrated that Han was a pretty hardcore cynic who was perfectly happy to pretty much straight up murder somebody who was a threat to him. Over the course of the film we see him find people and a cause that he cares about, leading to him returning to help Luke out at the Death Star. That whole arc is undercut if you make Han into somebody who was actually much nicer in the first place. He's not a cynic who'll shoot people, he just defended himself!

It's a similar complaint with Luke's scream as he fell in Empire Strikes Back. The whole point of that moment was that he had given up and resigned himself to dying. That's negated if he's then like "Yeaaaaarrrrgh!" as he falls, as if he'd just tripped and fell or something.

But in this case the whole point of the fight is that these are meant to be two badass warriors taking one another on. The change doesn't negate that, it plays into it - because let's face it, the fight we got was two actors awkwardly hitting sticks together. This change works for me because it reinforces the narrative rather than contradicting it.

Of course I can see that purists wouldn't want any change at all, and that's fine. The original theatrical versions should always be available for such people, IMO. But do what Trek did with the remastered versions, and put blu-rays on which allow multiple versions of the media to be watched. Then everyone can be happy.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I agree. Especially with the 2019 context we have Darth Vader who has grown into his own using strength based lightsaber attacks and has a intense hatred of what Obi Wan did to him.

It makes more sense in this scene then original. Because after all Lucas wasn't planning that far ahead.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I find this to be well-made. but I don't need this. I love the first one just fine. I recognize and acknowledge the real-life limitations when it was made.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:I find this to be well-made. but I don't need this. I love the first one just fine. I recognize and acknowledge the real-life limitations when it was made.
It's something fun to see how would an a tusk fight between two former friends would have been. With one friend burning in hatred because he is in a 'iron lung' due to his friend and being thoroughly immersed in the Dark Side. And his friend no longer as young as he used to be.