Tarantino to go where no Trek has gone before?

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Tarantino to go where no Trek has gone before?

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Recently I've seen rumors of an upcoming Trek film to be directed by Quentin Tarantino, to be targeting an "R" rating from the MPAA.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/20 ... reenwriter
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
DonP
Senior chief petty officer
Senior chief petty officer

Re: Tarantino to go where no Trek has gone before?

Post by DonP »

I certainly hope not. I've never once seen a Tarantino film that I even slightly enjoyed.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Tarantino to go where no Trek has gone before?

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Whereas I've enjoyed the majority of his films.

I have to say, I suspect a Tarantino Trek movie wouldn't be that much like his other films. The man is surely smart enough to know that he can't just remake Pulp Fiction with phasers instead of guns.

What I hope for, though, is his tendency to have characters act according to their natures regardless of the consequences. I hate, hate, haaaaate that thing most of Hollywood does where the hero goes on a rampage of revenge to kill the villain and then refrains from killing him... only to have the villain die in some ridiculous way. Like in Patriot Games when Ford doesn't kill Sean Bean, so Sean Bean obligingly falls on an anchor and dies. Or the Spiderman movie where Spidey gets the guy who killed Uncle Ben and decides not to kill him, so the guy obligingly jumps out of a window. Because you have to kill the bad guy to satisfy the audience, but you can't have your hero get his hands dirty.

One of the things I most love about Tarantino movies is that his characters will see things like that through. Like Dr Schultz, who so loved to outsmart everyone that he just couldn't shake Candy's hand and admit defeat. It's stupid... but it's also exactly what a guy like him would do. It's honest, and I have respect for that.

If he brings that sensibility to Trek, I'm in.

Just don't set it in the fricken Discovery universe.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...