The thread wherein I praise an aspect Discovery.

Discovery
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

The thread wherein I praise an aspect Discovery.

Post by Graham Kennedy »

So in Captain Lorca's secret Laboratory of Evil we see various beasties. Including... a Gorn skeleton!

Now, there should not be a Gorn skeleton there, since the Federation didn't know about the Gorn at this point. But I will set that aside.

What I praise is this :

That's a Gorn! A REAL Gorn!!!! Not a "mini Tyrannosaurus Rex" Gorn, but a proper one!

I applaud this! Well done Discovery!
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: The thread wherein I praise an aspect Discovery.

Post by T'Pau »

Love love love the original Gorn!

What I want to know, is WHY is he collecting all these alien artifacts in the first place?

Is he a hunter who saves his trophies, like the Predators in their films?

Is he plundering other species trying to find a way to weaponize something about their biology, like the magic mushroom spores and whatever the beastie from the USS Glen might be?

Or are all these things in his 'man-cave' simply easter eggs for fans to figure out along the way?
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Simple answer: they are there to say, "Hey, look - we're 'Star Trek' too! No, really!"
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Mikey wrote:Simple answer: they are there to say, "Hey, look - we're 'Star Trek' too! No, really!"
I don't think so, actually. I think they have set this season up (well they've boasted about that) and this is part of it.

My guess : Lorca and most of Discovery are Section 31. Maybe even the whole ship is. He is researching into biological weapons, secret stuff that is illegal. I think he is going to turn out to be a bad guy, and Burnham is ultimately going to have to fight him. I think that's why they made her a mutineer - because their aim is ultimately to have her mutiny again, but this time have her prove to be right. And I think that she will wind up promoted to Captain because of it.

Part of what makes me think this? Alex Kurtzman is an Exec Producer / writer on Discovery... and was a the writer / producer on Star Trek Into Darkness. And what is Star Trek Into Darkness about?

A brilliant young Starfleet Officer breaks the rules and their career is broken.

A senior Starfleet officer recruits that officer into a mission to attack the Klingons.

It turns out that the senior Starfleet officer has built a super powerful weapon in secret, intending to use it against the Klingon. He is actually the true bad guy.

The disgraced officer must turn on the senior officer and defeat him.

The disgraced officer is then rewarded and given command.

It's the exact same story that Discovery is telling, just dressed differently. Lorca's super weapon is going to be his Magic Mushroom drive, or some biological weapon, or something like that. Hence the laboratory of biological horrors.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

Clearly a storyline which is better in 10 hours than 2, if done correctly.
If you want to ask me, this avatar is a resized version of "The War Come Home" by Davemetlesits found on DeviantArt