Animated flyby of the Theramel class

Graham's Coalition Universe stuff
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Animated flyby of the Theramel class

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Another of the Coalition ship classes does a flyby.

Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Re: Animated flyby of the Theramel class

Post by Bryan Moore »

Lovely. You've done wonders with the textures, shapes, and shading over the years. A few of those forward batteries look like they'd shoot your sails, but I suppose there's a focker mechanism like on WWI planes? ;-)

Great job!
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

There's certainly no doubt as to the purpose of that ship.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Thanks!

It's really remarkable how much difference adding a texture to the surface makes, and so far it's not that difficult to do.

And yes, you would not be able to fire weapons at your own ship, tempting as it might be! Plus, the sails are actually detachable since they're fricken' huge targets and very, very fragile and difficult to repair. So if you get the chance you leave your sail in a safe place before going into combat. Course, that doesn't work out so well if the bad guys find the spot where your fleet left all their sails...
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Mikey wrote:There's certainly no doubt as to the purpose of that ship.
One of the things that always bothered me about a lot of sci fi ships was that the weapons are very small in proportion of the ship. When you see a phaser bank that's five feet across or so on a ship that's a thousand feet long, it raises the question of why not put two hundred on there instead of ten?

There's arguments about why not (not enough power, big internal systems under the weapons, whatever), but in the Coalition universe I generally use World War II ships as the general model - your weapons are basically the biggest that you can reasonably fit into the hull!