Roberto Orci Won't Direct Star Trek 3 After All

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Roberto Orci Won't Direct Star Trek 3 After All

Post by Nutso »

http://io9.com/roberto-orci-wont-direct ... 1667532751
Paramount is under a lot of pressure to put out a Star Trek movie by 2016, to capitalize on the 50th anniversary of the series. And they just hit a major snag: the movie's director, Roberto Orci, just left for unknown reasons. The good news? Rumor has it Edgar Wright could replace Orci.
Orci, who co-wrote the first two rebooted Trek movies, also co-wrote this movie's script with Patrick McKay and John D. Payne, and will remain on board as a producer. But Deadline says Shaun of the Dead director Edgar Wright (who helmed one shot on the previous Trek) is on a short list of replacement directors. Wright would clearly be an excellent choice, and so would Joe Cornish, Lexi Alexander, and a few other people I can think of offhand. Fingers crossed the movie gets back on track.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: Roberto Orci Won't Direct Star Trek 3 After All

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Damned milestone celebrations making them rush out product that might not be as good!
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Deadline reports that Fast and Furious 6‘s Justin Lin has been tapped to direct Star Trek 3. Lin’s credits include three Fast and Furious films, as well as current television series Scorpion. He is also set as director for the first two episodes of the second season of HBO’s True Detective.

Lin’s Star Trek 3 hiring comes shortly after reports in early December that Roberto Orci had decided to leave the project. In addition to Lin, many directors were reportedly under consideration to replace Orci, including Rupert Wyatt (Rise of the Planet of the Apes) with Star Trek: The Next Generation alum Jonathan Frakes also throwing his hat in the ring for the job. However, Deadline reports that Lin was the only one actually offered the job. Orci remains on board as a producer.

Star Trek 3 will arrive in theaters July 8, 2016.
http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2 ... ar-trek-3/

Okay, that isn't a problem, but what is glaringly bad to me is the two screenwriters they have on the script; neither of them have ever written ANYTHING for film or even television before. I don't like that move at all.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Damned milestone celebrations making them rush out product that might not be as good!

Rush? With the budget and time they have now, the crews in the 80ties could have made a whole triologie. :roll:

The only thing that is time consuming is the unnecessary and ultimately totally forgetable CGI. If they would concentrate more on dialogue and script instead of permanently crashing starships into planets and oceans they could release at least one movie a year!.......For half the budget.

(Yeah...liked the first movie...was rather disappointed by the second one. Story made no sense, Khan made no sense, all characters except Scotti behaved like idiots....)
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.