Hatchet Render

Graham's Coalition Universe stuff
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Hatchet Render

Post by Captain Seafort »

The backscatter of the light from the guns firing appears to be some distance away from the hull. Shields?
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Captain Seafort wrote:The backscatter of the light from the guns firing appears to be some distance away from the hull. Shields?
No, it's on the hull.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Well, I have to say that's a lot of fuck-you-up in one salvo. I too though am interested by the question of loss of mass in the antimatter ray due to destructive interaction with spaceborne matter. Is the ray somehow jacketed in some super-SF manner?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

That's a big question, actually.

The first generation of AMP cannon (which came in with this class) were simple particle beam weapons. As such they were better than the previous beam weapons (gamma ray lasers), but not not greatly so.

As time went on the beams were jacketed with midspace fields, allowing them to be fired in midspace - fire without a jacket and the beam would crash back into normal space as soon as it exited the ship's drivefield, being scattered all over the place in the process since uncontrolled ejection from midspace is a rather violent affair.

Then came the pairing of AMP cannon with rift generators, which lets ships fire from midspace into normal space or vice versa. And at more advanced tech levels, lets ships in normal space fire into midspace at one end and out at the other. That allows a ship in normal space to fire at another ship in normal space at FTL ranges. So for example a ship sitting in normal space in alpha centuri system would be able to use AMP cannon to bombard Earth.

The next step was to move to complex and carefully controlled field design which brings the M/AM particles together more efficiently, and better concentrating it on the target. And more exotic forms of matter and antimatter, giving higher efficiency matter to energy conversions and boosting yield.

Those developments are spread over about two centuries. The end result is that early AMP cannon are to modern ones are about as Napoleonic cannon are to modern artillery firing time-on-target salvos of rocket-assisted guided munitions. With nuclear warheads. :)

Oh, it's worth bearing in mind the scale. That ship is a little over four kilometres long...
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Graham Kennedy wrote:Um, it's down for maintanence. :)

The problem with doing this is that every time you think "well I'll change that slightly", it's another six or seven hours of rendering to try again. I need a supercomputer, dammit!
:happydevil:
email, ergo spam
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Graham Kennedy wrote:As time went on the beams were jacketed with midspace fields, allowing them to be fired in midspace - fire without a jacket and the beam would crash back into normal space as soon as it exited the ship's drivefield, being scattered all over the place in the process since uncontrolled ejection from midspace is a rather violent affair.
Hmm. Was this ever done deliberately, since it sounds like the effect would be similar to the Sankaidan rounds the IJN used?
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Graham Kennedy wrote:As time went on the beams were jacketed with midspace fields, allowing them to be fired in midspace - fire without a jacket and the beam would crash back into normal space as soon as it exited the ship's drivefield, being scattered all over the place in the process since uncontrolled ejection from midspace is a rather violent affair.
Hmm. Was this ever done deliberately, since it sounds like the effect would be similar to the Sankaidan rounds the IJN used?
No, it wouldn't accomplish much. Essentially your beams would emerge from midspace as two clouds of rapidly dispersing particles. You'd get some M/AM interaction and so a bit of a bang, but it would be a pretty sucky one, very low efficiency. It would be like pulling all the explosive from a shell, scattering it around, and lighting a bit off. Big flash, no real bang.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Different angle to get a better look at the torps...

The source is slightly bigger, so here's a direct link : http://vid372.photobucket.com/albums/oo ... l0rrci.mp4
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Very cool, especially the way the main battery seems to elevate specifically to let the camera pass.