Jumper render

Graham's Coalition Universe stuff
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jumper render

Post by Graham Kennedy »

The very first object created by humanity that broke the light speed barrier. The Jumper was a test rig, unmanned, only capable of going at just over the speed of light for a matter of a few seconds at first, rising to a few minutes over time. It wasn't really meant to "push the envelope" so much as gather data on FTL flight and develop methods of maintaining controlled flight.

The ring system is the most primitive FTL drive, and usually the first that any given species will invent. Speeds available are limited to around 1 - 20 x c. Sail ships are much faster, with speeds ranging from 20-100 x c for a twin sail ship, up to as high as 350 x c for big six or eight sail ships. Midspace drives are enormously faster still, with speeds ranging up into the tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands x c.

Jumper was quite a little thing; I found an astronaut figure online somewhere so I stuck him into the last pic to give a sense of scale.

Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Jumper render

Post by McAvoy »

Those supports seem to very skinny. I guess the rings are self contained?
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

The bronze supports, you mean? They are pretty skinny, but if you look you can see there are two sets of connecting struts supporting each ring against acceleration.

Not sure what you mean by "self contained". The rings are essentially the "engines" - well, more accurately the fusion reactor is the engine, and the rings are the "paddle wheels". (The FTL drive systems progression goes rings = paddle wheels, sails = propellers, midspace drive = something like those underwater supercavitating rockets)
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

When I said that I meant the skinny supports not the bronze center shaft.

I didn't see how big the center shaft was compared to a man so I thought they were self contained units.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

This is completely unmanned. It's essentially just an engine, power system, and sensor pod on the front. Nobody sits inside any part of it.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Not what I meant but whatever.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Sorry, apparently I'm not understanding you. :(
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

OK. I thought the whole thing was smaller. So I though between the skinny supports and the bronze center shaft being so skinny that there was so way you can fit stuff in them, that each ring was a self contained unit.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Ah, no.