My Blender Render! (Kororra Class)

Graham's Coalition Universe stuff
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Re: My Blender Render!

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Graham Kennedy wrote:
And for those who want ultimate dakka... all together now...

Firing a broadside from every gun should have some kind of name, don't you think?
Trippy....

As for a name: BDZ? (would that cause a BDZ?)
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Rather have my own name than appropriate someone elses.

A Mark 21 hit would redecorate a continent pretty effectively. There's a huge fixed axis cannon you can mount onto the bottom of the hull that will destroy a planet completely, but that's a "strategic" item only carried by selected ships.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Graham Kennedy wrote:Firing a broadside from every gun should have some kind of name, don't you think?
How about, "Bitch, please?"
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Pimp slapping?
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

The Rapture.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I'm thinking "Alpha salvo", aka "the kitchen sink salvo". :)

Added the matter/antimatter pod covers. M/AM isn't used to power the ship, just for the weapons. The green glowy things are ejection ports that let the ship vent the contents in an emergency. The covers can also be blown off; each pod has a propulsor at each corner to let them blow themselves clear at about 10,000 gees. They burn out after 15 seconds or so, but they're 10,000 km away by then.

Also added the Mark 6 gun directors, of which there are two in this image. And you can see the eight torpedo tubes as well. I still waffle back and forth on whether to have small torpedoes - small in this case being about the size of the largest ICBMs of today - in the tens of thousands, or massively big torpedoes - each one essentially a spaceship of its own - in the hundreds. As you can see from the size of the tubes here, this iteration goes for the massive torps model.

The big housing the tubes are in the front of is the loading area, with storage above and behind. I've recently been playing with a modification of the Kororra where I'd extend that lower housing aft and move it further back. It would give the same torpedo loading, maybe better, but clear space to at least double the number of M/AM pods.

Might start playing with textures and colours now... would love to get a more metallic-looking finish to the hull.

Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Graham Kennedy wrote:First go at adding the nose. Coming along okay, but it's been incredibly fiddly to do. Also put the running lights on.

The nose gives it a certain... look. :P
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Ha, I guess it does at that.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Tried out the reconfigured torpedo silo as described above. Lots more magazing capacity, which makes sense for a battleship.

Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Fiddly little stuff being done now. Small but important items...

FTL comm system :

One of two identical STL comm systems :

(You can see the other one poking up on the far side)

High angle view of the STL comm system :

EW drone / decoy launchers, with drone being launched :

A pair of Silex torpedoes being launched :

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Perhaps my perspective is way off, but are those drones variable-geometry or do they otherwise have those outriggers housed within the hull at launch?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Mikey wrote:Perhaps my perspective is way off, but are those drones variable-geometry or do they otherwise have those outriggers housed within the hull at launch?
The decoys are cylindrical (with tapering nose and tail) in the tube. The "above and below" units fold out of the hull after launch.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Figured a move to the Coalition folder was in order, since that's what the thread rapidly became.
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

This looks great though I enjoyed all of your stuff on the Coalition Universe. I didn't even know you could do so much with these 3d printing things, let alone as quickly as you have.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Yeah, I tried Blender a few years ago and couldn't make head or tails of it. This time around it just seemed to come a lot easier for some reason.

It's an odd mix of easy and hard. A lot of the more impressive looking images on here have been pretty simple to do... yet even today, I closed a control panel window on the screen and then spent more than an hour trying to work out how to open it again. There was just no obvious way to do it, and it was one of those things that's so simple that no tutorial ever explains it. Turned out you had to make a cope of the main window and then use a little button to turn it into a different type of window. Silly little simple things like that can eat up huge amounts of time. :(