So who owns the Star Trek gaming license now?

LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

So who owns the Star Trek gaming license now?

Post by LaughingCheese »

Just the people making Star Trek Online?

I know there's a few shooters around based on abramsverse, but who owns the old titles like Elite Force, Armada, New Worlds, etc?

I'd love to see new games like those and not just another MMO. Seems that's all people make these days is online only titles.

If no one picks up the old ones I'm tempted to make a remake of Aramada, would be nice to have a new RTS in Star Trek, but I'm afraid anything that would come out now would be abramsverse based.

I have some ideas for Armada 3; I think Star Trek is a great candidate for a 4x game. My version of Armada 3 would be an RTS/4x hybrid sort of like the Sins series, but with more base building.

Too bad all the licenses are probably in license hell tho. :bangwall:
Spocky
Ensign
Ensign

Re: So who owns the Star Trek gaming license now?

Post by Spocky »

Cryptic/Perfect World hold the licence to STO (with CBS moderating it),and possibly any future MMO's, CBS holds the licence to any future games set in the Prime Universe, and PAramount hold the licence to any future JJ-Verse games while any past games licence are held by the company who made it, in most cases, as far as I know. Still, I could be wrong on all of it (other then the STO part, I know that.)
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Spocky wrote:Cryptic/Perfect World hold the licence to STO (with CBS moderating it),and possibly any future MMO's, CBS holds the licence to any future games set in the Prime Universe, and PAramount hold the licence to any future JJ-Verse games while any past games licence are held by the company who made it, in most cases, as far as I know. Still, I could be wrong on all of it (other then the STO part, I know that.)

So basically Activision still has a stranglehold on Armada then?
Spocky
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Spocky »

LaughingCheese wrote:
Spocky wrote:Cryptic/Perfect World hold the licence to STO (with CBS moderating it),and possibly any future MMO's, CBS holds the licence to any future games set in the Prime Universe, and PAramount hold the licence to any future JJ-Verse games while any past games licence are held by the company who made it, in most cases, as far as I know. Still, I could be wrong on all of it (other then the STO part, I know that.)

So basically Activision still has a stranglehold on Armada then?
Most likely, yes. The licence may have gone back to CBS, though.

Just had a look on Wikipedia, Memory Alpha, and Google to see if I could find anything about the licence. Absolutely nothing discovered.
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

I'd love a new version of Armada, or a 4x game. There was a fan-made game in the making a few years back based on Birth of the Federation, but I think that came of naught. I used to love Armada II though. I'm not into all these MMRPG or whatever it is.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

LaughingCheese wrote:My version of Armada 3 would be an RTS/4x hybrid sort of like the Sins series, but with more base building.
Sins as in Sins of a Solar Empire? If that's the case you've probably seen it before but there's this Mod
Bite my shiny metal ass
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Tinadrin Chelnor wrote:I'd love a new version of Armada, or a 4x game. There was a fan-made game in the making a few years back based on Birth of the Federation, but I think that came of naught. I used to love Armada II though. I'm not into all these MMRPG or whatever it is.
Yeah a sequel to Birth of the Federation has been in the making for fifteen years. I doubt one will ever be made or at least finished.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

McAvoy wrote:
Tinadrin Chelnor wrote:I'd love a new version of Armada, or a 4x game. There was a fan-made game in the making a few years back based on Birth of the Federation, but I think that came of naught. I used to love Armada II though. I'm not into all these MMRPG or whatever it is.
Yeah a sequel to Birth of the Federation has been in the making for fifteen years. I doubt one will ever be made or at least finished.
Aye, the one I was monitoring for some time seemed to be going well, then just stopped dead. I love 4x strategy wargames games, but I find it hard to find one I can get into nowadays.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

The mod for Sins of a Solar Empire is really quite good. It's not 100% finished I don't think but its perfectly playable. Think the Borg AI is a bit over powerful. Or realistic.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I wish I had the knowledge or the resources because I would at least attempt to make a sequel. Or somehow upgrade the original.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

McAvoy wrote:I wish I had the knowledge or the resources because I would at least attempt to make a sequel. Or somehow upgrade the original.

There is an RTS template for UDK. I'm somewhat tempted to simply remake the game in another engine.

But I would really like a full blown sequel; I'm thinking some kind of RTS/4x blend. Maybe even FPS/RPG if the engine is powerful enough.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I don't know because aside from making the map much bigger, at least four times bigger, fixing the battle, update the models, add more minor races (and hhave some of them be actually bigger like a two or three planets). I don't know what to change.

Fixing the AI would be a very good thing.