Into Darkness - the influences (SPOLIERS)

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Into Darkness - the influences (SPOLIERS)

Post by LaughingCheese »

Also another ref, well sort of; they revisited the launch from ST:09 and made it more detailed which was cool, but still, you know, I'd like to see an actual launch of a starship someday.

I'm curious as to how its done in Trek, tho if we can surmise from the first ten minutes apparently a starship can simply rocket out of the atmosphere and into orbit, which is pretty awesome IMO, I've often thought that Trek ships should be more invulnerable to re-entry with all the technobabble and quantum Starfleet has.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

I don't think it was previously mentioned but I believe Bones has a line remarkably similar to "Shut up Spock we're rescuing you" in the beginning of the film if I recall correctly.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

GrahamKennedy wrote:Interestingly the nerve pinch seemed to actually hurt but not stop him. Pinches have always seemed painless before.
The knockout pinch could be a massive jolt to the pain center, strong enough to knock you out. Khan was just tough enough that he didn't get knocked out.

In the beginning, why didn't they have a spare shuttle or two? One shuttle with Spock and the cold bomb, and a second designed to operate inside the volcano in case of emergency? At the very least they could have said the replacement shuttle had a problem, and the existing standby shuttle had to return due to (other problem). It would still look lik tech issues causing problems, but it would show they planned for failure instead of assuming only one shuttle would be needed.

As to the long-range torps, they have the transwarp beaming. Why launch a torp when you can beam it directly to the destination. It was an unshielded section of the Klingon Homeworld (since Khan was able to beam there), so why couldn't a torpedo get beamed there too? No need for fuel, just explosive and a timer.

That was a nice shot of Khan getting punched by Kirk, and Kirk getting hurt more than Khan. Plus when Spock tried to get Khan to back off due to Khan not wanting to kill his crew, then Khan reminding him that his crew is in cryostorage and he can just shoot the life support systems, wait for the Enterprise crew to die, and get his crew back that way.

But the Vengeance emerged much too close to the Enterprise (less than a ship length away).
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

I thought of another possible reference a while back: Khan's interrogative inflection (to me) when he meets Captain Kirk, "Captain...?" could be a nod to Star Trek V. In STV Sybok is under the assumption Chekov is the captain of the Enterprise after Chekov introduces himself as "Captain Pavel Chekov." In ST:ID Sulu introduces himself as the Captain of the Enterprise.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."