Why did the Goa'uld leave Earth alone?

McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Why did the Goa'uld leave Earth alone?

Post by McAvoy »

In the series we heard that Ra and Goa'uld were driven off by a rebellion. However these seems to be indications that they came back afterwards such as Goa'ulds taking on names that did not exist during that time.

The only explanation is that the Asgard protected Earth for awhile before the Goa'uld gave up and left Earth alone.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Jim
Captain
Captain

Re: Why did the Goa'uld leave Earth alone?

Post by Jim »

I assumed that they visited off and on but no one every cared enough to take the plant as their own. Other than humans the Earth didn't offer them anything that they needed/wanted. Eventually the Asgard stepped in to help the humans.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I alwyas wondered that as well, it shows half a dozen Goa'uld that have taken personalities from Earth culture up to a few hundred years ago, when we would of had a large population. The only thing we dont have in Naquida.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Teaos wrote:I alwyas wondered that as well, it shows half a dozen Goa'uld that have taken personalities from Earth culture up to a few hundred years ago, when we would of had a large population. The only thing we dont have in Naquida.
Well it could have been mined long ago by the Ancients. Remember the Ancients were on Earth before Atlantis left and then returned afterwards.

I think the last let's say 500 years (I would have to look up the 'youngest god a Goa'uld would be) Earth was forgotten as a backwater planet. It could have also been inside Asgard sphere of influence and while not directly protected by the treaty, it could have easily made Goa'uld's life difficult.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

As far as a desire for humans goes... The Goa'uld seemed to have relatively little use for humans other than very low level slaves, and they had tons of those already. They had the Jaffa for their main source of "power"
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Jim wrote:As far as a desire for humans goes... The Goa'uld seemed to have relatively little use for humans other than very low level slaves, and they had tons of those already. They had the Jaffa for their main source of "power"
Pretty much. I wonder how many humans they had to take off Earth to populate the dozens if not hundreds of worlds the Goa'uld had.
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

The planets were not very population heavy and had been "seeded" quite some time ago so population growth was happening by itself. plus, I would think that they would be more likely to relocate people from seeded planets as opposed to "new" humans from Earth because the seeded planets would already have the worship and fear in them.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Small population over 10k can grow quite a bit.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Well yeah. But we have seen populations on other worlds. You would need a certain number of humans for genetic diversity and so humans can populate the planet on their own without help.