What's the latest in people's lives?

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What's the latest in people's lives?

Post by IanKennedy »

McAvoy wrote:I hope that is in MPH not KPH because 60 KPH isn't impressive.

It is better for you to get a convertible than someone in California despite your infamous weather. With a convertible in California you will get sunburned pretty bad and you will still sweat.
This is the UK we only do road speeds in MPH not KPH. We're metric for just about everything except speed limits and alcohol. Speed limits are in MPH and distances on road signs are in miles. All modern British cars are required to have speed displayed in MPH and KPH, like this:

You can only buy draught beer in pints or half pints (or multiples of them) it's illegal to sell in in other quantities. Bottles, cans etc must use metric. This is a consumer protection law to prevent you paying for a pint and not getting a full measure.
email, ergo spam
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

IanKennedy wrote:
Reliant121 wrote:Only ever been in one Convertible, a horrible little Mitsubishi Colt. Wasn't that enamored.
Yes, but these are a very different kettle of fish. The BMW is a 3.0L that does 0-60 in 5.9 seconds and corners like it's on rails.

The Merc is better at 3.5L and 0-60 in 5.4 seconds. :)
That is a bit of a difference; my experience was a little 1.5 which did 0-60 in...a long time.
Angharrad
Captain
Captain
Location: In the big chair, finally, swinging my feet 'cause I'm short. Lower the chair Scotty DAMMIT

Post by Angharrad »

I've never been in a convertible per se, I've been on a motorcycle and a jeep which had no roof just a roll bar.
“You cannot play God then wash your hands of the things that you've created. Sooner or later, the day comes when you can't hide from the things that you've done anymore.”

And then Buffy staked Edward. The End.

From Slave to Princess
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

After 10 weeks of homelessness I'm finally getting a room in a YMCA-run hostel over this weekend. No more floor for me :)
“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.”
― Captain Jean-Luc Picard
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Varthikes »

I've been busy on my third book, Book 3 in my Draconia series. I'm getting close to a moment that I've been waiting for ever since I started working on this series 8 years ago. A battle where Humans fighting alongside their dragon allies against alien invaders. I will have Human fighters in the air with dragons engaging alien fighters.
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

I didn't know you had a DITL shop. I shall be buying a mug as soon as I have settled into my new place :)
“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.”
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

IanKennedy wrote:
McAvoy wrote:I hope that is in MPH not KPH because 60 KPH isn't impressive.

It is better for you to get a convertible than someone in California despite your infamous weather. With a convertible in California you will get sunburned pretty bad and you will still sweat.
This is the UK we only do road speeds in MPH not KPH. We're metric for just about everything except speed limits and alcohol. Speed limits are in MPH and distances on road signs are in miles. All modern British cars are required to have speed displayed in MPH and KPH, like this:

You can only buy draught beer in pints or half pints (or multiples of them) it's illegal to sell in in other quantities. Bottles, cans etc must use metric. This is a consumer protection law to prevent you paying for a pint and not getting a full measure.
Identical to American cars then. My mistake. I love the metric system but I do prefer MPH over KPH myself.

The beer thing on one side sounds like a good idea but I remember that bars do put them in small or even larger glasses than pint or half pint size. Usually either for high alcohol content like lets say a Russian Imperial Stout which at minimum is 9% and up to 15% (which knocked me on my ass, good times).
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Just bought a new car. Will collect it in a week or so but it's ordered:

email, ergo spam
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Tinadrin Chelnor wrote:I didn't know you had a DITL shop. I shall be buying a mug as soon as I have settled into my new place :)
Yes, we do. It's been there for years and hardly anyone has ever bought anything.
email, ergo spam
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I didn't expect many would.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

IanKennedy wrote:Yes, we do. It's been there for years and hardly anyone has ever bought anything.
I found this site just over a decade ago, and never once knew of it. Well, I'll be the first to buy something in 2013 then. I collect mugs usually from places I visit, one from DITL would be nice to add to my collection as your site has been very useful for me over the years.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I'd like to buy something, and now that I have a debit card, I can!
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

McAvoy wrote:I didn't expect many would.
Neither did we, actually. We made the shop more as a joke than anything.

I think it's sold like four things over the years.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Angharrad wrote:I've never been in a convertible per se, I've been on a motorcycle and a jeep which had no roof just a roll bar.
One of the few legitimately cool things about the Army was the Iltis in summer. Throw the top and doors in the stowage and drive around all day, off road with endless sky and wind.

Then you hit a stump and its all over.
Angharrad
Captain
Captain
Location: In the big chair, finally, swinging my feet 'cause I'm short. Lower the chair Scotty DAMMIT

Post by Angharrad »

Aaron wrote:
Angharrad wrote:I've never been in a convertible per se, I've been on a motorcycle and a jeep which had no roof just a roll bar.
One of the few legitimately cool things about the Army was the Iltis in summer. Throw the top and doors in the stowage and drive around all day, off road with endless sky and wind.

Then you hit a stump and its all over.
My brother made the serious mistake of letting me drive it. :mrgreen: He still loves me though.
“You cannot play God then wash your hands of the things that you've created. Sooner or later, the day comes when you can't hide from the things that you've done anymore.”

And then Buffy staked Edward. The End.

From Slave to Princess