PSU questions

stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

PSU questions

Post by stitch626 »

For a long while, I'v been getting a video driver crash and recover message at semi random occurrences while using 3d applications. After some research (which was after I got fed up with games and Firefox crashing on me) and testing, I think I have found a problem that may or may not be related.

Using a voltage monitoring program, I've found that my 12V is reporting only 6.5V.

1) Is this a problem?

2) Could this cause the crashing of the video drivers?

3) Should I replace the PSU?

I tried Google, but numbers seem to not be very friendly when searching. Any help/wisdom would be much appreciated.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: PSU questions

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

If that 6.5V number is legitimate, it's quite odd. Though there's an accepted variance around the 3.3V, 5V and 12V rails a value roughly half the nominal value is crazy. Can you go into the BIOS to see what voltages are reported there? Hardware monitoring programs sometimes spit out crazy numbers, like obviously wrong temperatures. Assuming that value is real, though, I'd replace the PSU.

As to the other problem, What video hardware do you have? Integrated or discrete, Intel, AMD, or Nvidia? What have you done to try to fix it already?
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

stitch626 wrote:For a long while, I'v been getting a video driver crash and recover message at semi random occurrences while using 3d applications. After some research (which was after I got fed up with games and Firefox crashing on me) and testing, I think I have found a problem that may or may not be related.

Using a voltage monitoring program, I've found that my 12V is reporting only 6.5V.

1) Is this a problem?

2) Could this cause the crashing of the video drivers?

3) Should I replace the PSU?

I tried Google, but numbers seem to not be very friendly when searching. Any help/wisdom would be much appreciated.
6.5V on a 12V line is not acceptable. If it's real it could cause all sorts of weird problems. Do you have access to a multimeter? If so you could try measuring it directly to confirm that the measurement is true. if it is true then try unplugging different components and see if it alters the voltage. Obviously you should turn the system off before connecting or disconnecting any of the components. If you find that the voltage returns to normal when an item is removed then it is likely that the item is faulty, quite likely because it has a short. You would probably need to replace that item. Obviously if you don't have a multimeter (or even just a voltmeter) then this testing is likely to be impossible. Removing components will likely mean that you cannot boot the system to use your software method of measuring the system voltage.

On the other hand it could be that you've got too much plugged into the power supply. If this is the case then replacing the power supply with a higher wattage one will help.
email, ergo spam
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:If that 6.5V number is legitimate, it's quite odd. Though there's an accepted variance around the 3.3V, 5V and 12V rails a value roughly half the nominal value is crazy. Can you go into the BIOS to see what voltages are reported there? Hardware monitoring programs sometimes spit out crazy numbers, like obviously wrong temperatures. Assuming that value is real, though, I'd replace the PSU.

As to the other problem, What video hardware do you have? Integrated or discrete, Intel, AMD, or Nvidia? What have you done to try to fix it already?
I'll check the BIOS (and use a Voltmeter once I figure out where to check).

I use an Nvidia GTS450. And I already checked for card related issues (happens the same with 3 different cards, and all driver versions from now till a year ago... anything earlier and I get other issues). Its also a very common problem, with a dozen or so potential causes and even more potential fixes.

I won't be able to get a new PSU anyway till September, so I'll be doing the more detailed checks you suggested Ian.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.