Microsoft gets into tablet business

Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Microsoft gets into tablet business

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

That is, they've gone beyond making software for tablet PCs, to building the tablet itself. The company has made hardware before, most notably the XBox line and Kinect, as well as minor stuff like keyboards and mice. This case is notable since the hardware ties directly into their core business (Windows/Office) and puts them in competition with their PC manufacturer partners.

Ladies and gentlemen, the Microsoft Surface:

The more innovative aspects of it involve the magnetically attached cover, which folds down to reveal a full keyboard and touchpad as shown in the image. There will be two versions of the cover, a touch version and a slightly thicker version with physical keys, and the covers will be available in multiple colors. Also, note the kickstand in the back which can be used to rest the tablet at 22 degrees. There are back and front facing webcams, the front one angled back at 22 degrees such that it points directly ahead when the tablet is mounted on the stand.

Impressions of overall construction from the media present at the unveiling Monday night in Los Angeles were quite positive. The case is made of Magnesium, using a process of vapor deposition which Microsoft calls "VaporMg," and the cover is Gorilla Glass. It's all well put together and gives the impression of quality construction, right down to the kickstand built into the rear casing. At 10.6' the screen is slightly bigger than common 10.1 inch tablets, and the Windows RT version (more on that below) will be marginally thinner than the latest Ipad but a touch heavier.

The Surface will come in two forms, differentiated by CPU and secondly by the versions of Windows designed to run on those CPUs. The initial version will use an ARM CPU manufactured by NVidia, most likely quad-core. Chips designed by ARM Holdings (a British design firm) and manufactured by companies like Qualcomm, Nvidia, Texas Instruments, Samsung and others run most current smartphones and tablets including Apple's I-devices. The version of Windows is runs will be called Windows RT to distinguish it from the classic Intel version of Windows 8 though the two operating systems will be very similar and will run the same apps made for the new "Metro" interface described in the Windows 8 thread. Another version, to arrive a few months later (perhaps early 2013) will be built around an Intel Core i5 and will run Windows 8, including the ability to run existing desktop apps. While the RT version will include a copy of Office 2013 Home and Student designed for the ARM architecture it's different CPU architecture means current desktop apps won't run on it.

The RT version will ship about the time Windows 8 is released (currently expected in October), along with other Windows 8 tablets from other PC makers while the Intel version follows a few months later. Microsoft has been vague on details including pricing; the RT version is simply said to be "price competitive with similar tablets" and the Intel version "price competitive with current Ultrabooks." An Ultrabook is Intel's term for a very light and thin laptop with DVD or Blu-ray drive. Other key unknowns include battery life. A lot of these details won't be known until these things are released and full reviews are published.

As far as the competition thing, one commentator I read had an interesting perspective. To paraphrase:

Microsoft has been yelling at it's partners for years to focus more on quality and the user experience. Make a few really good PC models as opposed to a bewildering array of mediocre ones. (In essence, be a bit more like Apple on these points) Avoid loading down PCs with so much third-party crapware that the system becomes perceptibly shower. Since these PC makers by and large have ignored these exhortations, Microsoft is effectively showing them how it's done -- how to make a quality PC. Microsoft seems to have decided they have so much riding on third-party PC manufacturers who they can't rely on to deliver the kind of experience Microsoft intends for its PCs that they had to lead the charge themselves and set the example. If the early previews of the hardware are to be believed, the bar is now set very high for new Windows 8 tablets. Further, a tablet from Microsoft will surely deliver the purest Windows 8/RT experience possible, with no third-party crap mucking things up.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Microsoft gets into tablet business

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Also, they have USB ports. The Intel/WIn 8 version will be a bit thicker and heavier than the ARM/RT version.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Still haven't found a use for a tablet yet. A piece of paper and and a pencil can do the job very well and my laptop can do the rest.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

The more innovative aspects of it involve the magnetically attached cover
Hmm... I seem to remember another company having a magnetically attached cover more than a year ago. All you have here is a Bluetooth keyboard on it. The problem with keyboards that come into contact with the screen is that the grease from your hands gets onto the keys. From there it gets onto the screen and actually starts to degrade the screen. I've seen early Mac laptops with issues like that where you see the layout of the keyboard 'etched' into the glass of the screen. This idea seems perfectly designed to cause that problem.
email, ergo spam
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

McAvoy wrote:Still haven't found a use for a tablet yet. A piece of paper and and a pencil can do the job very well and my laptop can do the rest.
Agreed, same here.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Looks like Logitec has beaten Microsoft to the keyboard idea. This is a keyboard that attaches to an iPad, magnetically and acts as a cover and a wireless keyboard:

Link

email, ergo spam
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Beaten to the idea? When my wife got her iPad from work, it was packaged with a Bluetooth keyboard. That's not even close to a new idea. Only diff was that hers is mechanically attached and designed to provide a bit of separation when closed to prevent skin oils from getting on the screen.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

I just picked up one of those Google Nexus things. Its a great little device for the money. Still not convinced a I could replace my laptop with a tablet of any size though. For it to be big enough and powerful enough to do everything I need, I may as well use a laptop.

I'd like to see Microsoft succeed with it though, user choice is always good.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Mikey wrote:Beaten to the idea? When my wife got her iPad from work, it was packaged with a Bluetooth keyboard. That's not even close to a new idea. Only diff was that hers is mechanically attached and designed to provide a bit of separation when closed to prevent skin oils from getting on the screen.
Beaten Microsoft to the tablet attached to a keyboard idea. As you are saying it's not new. If you read the OP it's touted as a new idea from M$.
email, ergo spam
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Yes, my point was meant to be in agreement with you in that MS is full of it by calling it a "new" idea.
as Bull offed Custer
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Mikey wrote:Yes, my point was meant to be in agreement with you in that MS is full of it by calling it a "new" idea.
Then we're agreeing with each other then. Isn't that nice :)
email, ergo spam
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

IanKennedy wrote:
Mikey wrote:Yes, my point was meant to be in agreement with you in that MS is full of it by calling it a "new" idea.
Then we're agreeing with each other then. Isn't that nice :)
Ugh. I think I'm allergic to "nice."
:happydevil:
as Bull offed Custer
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

*<:*)X
email, ergo spam
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

IanKennedy wrote:
Mikey wrote:Beaten to the idea? When my wife got her iPad from work, it was packaged with a Bluetooth keyboard. That's not even close to a new idea. Only diff was that hers is mechanically attached and designed to provide a bit of separation when closed to prevent skin oils from getting on the screen.
Beaten Microsoft to the tablet attached to a keyboard idea. As you are saying it's not new. If you read the OP it's touted as a new idea from M$.
ASUS have had the transformer tabs since early 2011. If anything, I'd say they got there first.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Reliant121 wrote:
IanKennedy wrote:
ASUS have had the transformer tabs since early 2011. If anything, I'd say they got there first.
Quite possibly. I wasn't claiming anything for Apple. The keyboard shown isn't even made by them. It's a Logitec.
email, ergo spam