Phone tracking

In the real world
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Funny pics

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Nickswitz wrote:You already have on in your phone. It's actively tracked by the 911 service, and inactively can be tracked by any other service that really wants to in the government, as long as they get the right permits for it.
I wasn't aware they put them in $20 phones from 7 years ago.

And the whole thing infringes on the right to privacy. It's not that they are doing it, it's that they can do it. You want to let them track you, and detect what you're around, fine. I don't. It's invasive and unconstitutional.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Tsukiyumi wrote:It's not that they are doing it, it's that they can do it.
I think you've got that backwards. If they can, but don't, then they're exercising restraint and respect.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

GrahamKennedy wrote:I had a discussion like this with somebody who wanted to convince me that the government monitors all phone calls, all cameras, tracks all citizens, everything, 24/7. He said it was done because "information gives them control". Frankly, I don't think the people in charge of the world actually care to know any of that stuff about me. I mean, I'm so dull...
All they'd really need is a couple (hundred?) supercomputers and some software and search buzzwords.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Tsukiyumi wrote: I wasn't aware they put them in $20 phones from 7 years ago.
7 years ago was 2004, so yes, they started putting them in about 8-10 years ago when cell phones became more popular and they were not attached to addresses, so they needed some way to be able to track them when calling 911.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Mikey wrote:I think you've got that backwards. If they can, but don't, then they're exercising restraint and respect.
They shouldn't be allowed to use it at all without a person's express permission.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
Mikey wrote:I think you've got that backwards. If they can, but don't, then they're exercising restraint and respect.
They shouldn't be allowed to use it at all without a person's express permission.
Since only 911 can track it (cept of the government and all that, but they can track you from the sky with remote controlled helicopters if they thought it would do any good... or maybe just for kicks), calling 911 is pretty much that express permission.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Actually, the EULA is the express permission, just because you don't actually read it, doesn't mean it doesn't apply. There's an entire section on GPS tracking in every phone manual.
The world ended

Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Nickswitz wrote:Actually, the EULA is the express permission, just because you don't actually read it, doesn't mean it doesn't apply. There's an entire section on GPS tracking in every phone manual.
Yeah, I'm aware that they slip that in the 300 page agreement; what I'm saying is I don't believe it should be able to be activated unless the owner dials 911.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

It's always on, but can only be accessed by the 911 services. Although, it can be accessed anytime the phone is on.
The world ended

IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
Why not with a search warrant?
email, ergo spam
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Phone tracking

Post by Captain Seafort »

Split from here
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

IanKennedy wrote:
Tsukiyumi wrote:
Why not with a search warrant?
Great idea, except that over here, they issue those like Halloween candy.

"Can I have a search warrant?"

"Sure, why not?"

"Aren't you going to review the case first?"

"Why bother?"

Besides, the Patriot Act makes warrants almost unneeded. They don't even need to prove probable cause in some cases now to search your property.
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by BigJKU316 »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
Nickswitz wrote:You already have on in your phone. It's actively tracked by the 911 service, and inactively can be tracked by any other service that really wants to in the government, as long as they get the right permits for it.
I wasn't aware they put them in $20 phones from 7 years ago.

And the whole thing infringes on the right to privacy. It's not that they are doing it, it's that they can do it. You want to let them track you, and detect what you're around, fine. I don't. It's invasive and unconstitutional.
In part it is a pure function of how a cell phone works. It is a radio transmitter and receiver that connects to fixed towers and has to hand off its signal as it moves along. I am amazed that people thought they could not be tracked on these things if someone wanted to. This is not technically complex at all really.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Triangulation is completely different. I am amazed that people are so gung-ho to defend the loss of our right to privacy.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

As someone whose wife regularly had to lobby for warrants and TRA's for domestic violence victims, I can tell you that in many jurisdictions search warrants are not so lightly handed down by a lot of judges.

As to defending my "loss of privacy," no such thing is the case. If nobody tracks my phone unless I ask for it (call 911) or actively subscribe to the service (navigation,) then the potential for doing so outside those situations is meaningless.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer