Sweeny Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Sweeny Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Anyone else see this?

I'm just back from seeing it, and I thought it was quite good. I didn't know when I was going in that it was actualy a musical, so I wasn't expecting that, but the music and lyrics were quite well done.

Don't go if you're squeemish at the sight of blood, though. It's basicaly two hours of people getting their throats cut, and one person getting thrown into a furnace. :)
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I have seen the adverts but I havn't any interest. It seemed too dark and macabre for me. Especially since you claim there to be alot of violence. I don't think the viewers would like projectile vomit on the screen. Although I expect the lead actor (Who's name escapes at this moment in time) will be very good in it.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

It seemed too dark and macabre for me.
Very dark. Very, very dark.
Well, it should be. It's about a barber who's a serial killer, and disposes of his victims by having his partner in crime turn them into meat pies. :)
Especially since you claim there to be alot of violence. I don't think the viewers would like projectile vomit on the screen.
Yeah, there's blood everywhere in this film.
Although I expect the lead actor (Who's name escapes at this moment in time) will be very good in it.
He was. Johnny Depp does 'insane' very well.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Ah...demon barber seems an appropriate name.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Yeah, quite a fitting name. :)
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I saw it last week and loved it!

There's actually no blood at all for the whole of the first hour. The second hour... well it kinda makes up for that! :)

Depp is great as always. There's a streak of very dark humour in it that I liked, too.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Yeah, the first half or so of the film is pretty normal. But when that Pirelli guy comes in...... :lol:
Enkidu
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Enkidu »

I'd like to see it, for I quite like Tim Burton's imaginative Gothic stylings, but for some reason I'm squeamish about throat cutting. Cinematic shootings, stabbings, immolations, even decapitations and dismemberments I can handle (though I'm not a gore hound) but throat cutting really turn my gut.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

If you're that squeemish about throat-cutting, then I should warn you that dozens of people die that way in the film. Quite graphicaly. In fact, everyone who dies in that film has their throats cut, save one.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

The gore didn't affect me much. It was done in a rather theatrical, over the top way.

If you have seen Kill Bill, when the Bride chops an arm or leg off, stupidly large amounts of blood spray out. It's so much that it's not shocking, it's almost funny. The gore in Sweeny Todd is exactly like that. He cuts a throat and so much blood comes out that you almost can't take it seriously. You kind of want to laugh... but it's creepy at the same time.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Everyone is aware that this is a film version of a fairly venerable Broadway musical that has had a couple fo revivals, right? In fact, an interesting take was Patti Lupone in the most recent revival which featured no pit orchestra, but the actors actually performing the score onstage.

That said, I haven't yet seen the film. I can say that I despised Johnny Depp when he first debuted on TV a million years ago, but his more recent roles have surprised me positively. I'd like to see it, because it's a very good musical - I unfortunately can't remember a decent film version of a musical play, though, since Grease and that was half-rewritten.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

If you have seen Kill Bill, when the Bride chops an arm or leg off, stupidly large amounts of blood spray out. It's so much that it's not shocking, it's almost funny. The gore in Sweeny Todd is exactly like that. He cuts a throat and so much blood comes out that you almost can't take it seriously. You kind of want to laugh... but it's creepy at the same time.
Aside from one or two parts (eg, the part where he's cutting dozens of throats in the middle of a song), the amount of blood was actualy alright compared to other films.