Harry Kim

Voyager
Space Ghost
Master chief petty officer

Harry Kim

Post by Space Ghost »

What a waste of a main character.

I loved the episode from about half way through the series (I don't recall which at the moment) where he was talking with Janeway in sickbay at the end and claimed that he wasn't the same person as when they first started on their journey. Yes he was! He hadn't changed a bit! He was the same chump in the last episode as he was in the first. It's like the writers completely forgot about him. For that matter, most of the other characters seemed to have stopped developing at about season 4. The only exception was the Doctor, who was easily the most developed character in the whole series. Sometimes, I could only shake my head when it came to Voyager.
"Are you considering the strategy I'm considering?"
"The cliché is 'Are you thinking what I'm thinking?' And yes, I am."
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Mayweather from Enterprise is even worse. What a boring actor / character / physical looking person. I blame him for the series going off the air. Him and that damn song.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

There is a Harry Kim in every show almost. So long as there are others to take the spot light I have no real problem with people like him. After all not everyone does change. Some people will be the same 10 years from now as they are now. They don;t have the drive to change and better them selves. Paris has problems but he also takes the lead and follows his gut. The delta flyer was fronted by him. Thats the type of person that changes not the Harry Kims of the world.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
celeritas
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by celeritas »

i kind of liked harry in "timeless".
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Yeah, for lack of development, Harry is higher (or lower) on the list than any of our other main 24th century crewmembers.

Truthfully, was anyone really developed properly/significantly in Enterprise? Perhaps T'Pol, but aside from, nothing like we saw on DS9 or TNG.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Data, Doctor, Worf all had major character developments. Sure there's more. But yeah T'Pol changed a lot, for that matter so did all the Vulcans on enterprise. I liked the change for them personally.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Well, I guess ever series needs a little weiner to pick on. They all have different characteristics, but Kim, Wesley, Maywether, etc. I guess DS9 never really had one of those characters.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I think Jake filled that roll.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Space Ghost

Post by Space Ghost »

I should have mention that I didn't get into Enterprise that much, so I can't really count it. As for TNG, DS9, and VOY, I still think Harry is the least developed character. I don't blame Garret Wang as he can only act with the material given to him. But it was almost comical seeing him get infected, shot, or captured seemingly every week. It's like he was the writer's favorite fall guy.
"Are you considering the strategy I'm considering?"
"The cliché is 'Are you thinking what I'm thinking?' And yes, I am."
celeritas
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by celeritas »

yeah harry technically didn't even make it back since he got replaced with his other dimension identical clone.

on a side note, garret wang looks creepy now with long hair.
Crushproof
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Crushproof »

Harry Kim was an Ensign for 7 years, maybe more. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
"It is the way of all Empires, old Comrade, to fall prey to the next" ~Mirror Chekov
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Crushproof wrote:Harry Kim was an Ensign for 7 years, maybe more. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
That happens in real life though. Rank isn't gaurantied depending on your job.
I Am Spartacus
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by I Am Spartacus »

When isolated from the rest of the nation, ranks would remain static else you'd end up with a whole mess of captains and commanders, and no ensigns or enlisted men.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

That would make for one rather amusing episode though... :)
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Crushproof
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Crushproof »

Ah, suppose so. Although you'd only end up with a load of Commanders, as Captains can't promote more Captains
"It is the way of all Empires, old Comrade, to fall prey to the next" ~Mirror Chekov