Worst ship design in sci-fi?

Everything else
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

She did (sort of) in 'Endgame'. Although she cheated :P . Now you know why i liked her.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Reliant121 wrote:
mwhittington wrote:Wow, a woman dumber than Janeway! That's amazing! :shock:
I didn't think she was that bad. A bit patriotic and traditional but she had more fire than Picard, in my view.
Also, unbelievably stupid - stranding her crew in the Delta Quadrant because she'd apparently never heard of timers, sticking her nose into every anomaly of the week and putting the ship in danger because of it, and a track record of taking "shortcuts" through the space of xenophobic and/or actively hostile aliens. Promoting her was probably the most intelligent thing Starfleet's ever done - kicking her upstairs and off the bridge of a starship.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

i see there's a general concensus that she was an idiot. fair enough.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

We calls 'em like we sees 'em.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Jordanis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jordanis »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Reliant121 wrote:
mwhittington wrote:Wow, a woman dumber than Janeway! That's amazing! :shock:
I didn't think she was that bad. A bit patriotic and traditional but she had more fire than Picard, in my view.
Also, unbelievably stupid - stranding her crew in the Delta Quadrant because she'd apparently never heard of timers, sticking her nose into every anomaly of the week and putting the ship in danger because of it, and a track record of taking "shortcuts" through the space of xenophobic and/or actively hostile aliens. Promoting her was probably the most intelligent thing Starfleet's ever done - kicking her upstairs and off the bridge of a starship.
Classic tactic. She must have some powerful backers in the political scene that make it impossible to cashier her.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

It wirks like corporate America - promote the dull-wits out of the way where they can't do as much harm.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Rochey wrote:
Mwhittington wrote:Wow, a woman dumber than Janeway! That's amazing!
What's even more horrifying is that she's a real person. :|

RK: What stats do you want? Armament, size, and stuff like that?
Yeah, just basically why you think it was a lousy design. Thanks. :)
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Well, it's a lousey design for a couple of major factors.

Firstly, the hanger is a big open target on the front of the ship. Given that some of it's heavier weapons are based in a forward firing arc, this would mean that to bring the main guns on an enemy ship would give them a massive open target in the form of the hanger. A single shot down into the open hanger would probably blow the entire front end of the ship off.

Secondly, the rotating ring section is a poor design. The systems to make it rotate would take up large amounts of space and resources (thus giving the ship a bigger target profile), and it can obscure the firing lines of it's own guns. It would be quite easy for a turret gunner to take a chunk out of the rotating section simply by not reacting fast enough when it comes into his firing lines.

There's a big load of stats on the ship here, if you're interested.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Well, it's a lousey design for a couple of major factors.

Firstly, the hanger is a big open target on the front of the ship. Given that some of it's heavier weapons are based in a forward firing arc, this would mean that to bring the main guns on an enemy ship would give them a massive open target in the form of the hanger. A single shot down into the open hanger would probably blow the entire front end of the ship off.

Secondly, the rotating ring section is a poor design. The systems to make it rotate would take up large amounts of space and resources (thus giving the ship a bigger target profile), and it can obscure the firing lines of it's own guns. It would be quite easy for a turret gunner to take a chunk out of the rotating section simply by not reacting fast enough when it comes into his firing lines.

There's a big load of stats on the ship here, if you're interested.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Ah, now I remember that ship. Thanks, Rochey. :)
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

No problem. :)
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Oh, another thing about the Omega. Poor aiming for the front guns and it can accidentally blow away its own fighters.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Good one. Hadn't noticed that, myself.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »