SFDebris: Unity

Voyager
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

SFDebris: Unity

Post by Captain Seafort »

Blip

Yet another episode which I think Chuck's got the score a bit off. I'd give Unity a 5 or a 4 - partially through being distinctly average overall, partially because the return of the Borg deserved more than anaemic waffle. If they'd done it a few seasons, once they'd had their big opening, I might have been a bit more charitable.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
katefan
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Re: SFDebris: Unity

Post by katefan »

Agreed. The episode was nothing special at all. It was eps. like this that castrated the Borg, turned them into something unspectacular.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Yeah. I think it would have been better if they just done Scorpion first then this. But then it would have ended up being a Seven episode.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Really, even for a Voy ep I'd only give it a 3/10. It had a chance to be interesting and had some good plot opportunity... but all was lost yet again.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Deepcrush wrote:Really, even for a Voy ep I'd only give it a 3/10. It had a chance to be interesting and had some good plot opportunity... but all was lost yet again.
That only makes it an average Voyager ep, and I think 3 would be harsh - it at least had some decent ideas and demonstrated an attempt to think outside the box regarding Borg episodes, even though the execution left a lot to be desired.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I could feel safe in giving it a 4/10 but the problem for me is that they clearly had something to work with and still screwed it up.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

In the broad strokes they had something but only in the very broad strokes. If they'd given the story a bit of nuance it might have been something but Voyager never had the stones for much morally gray kind of stuff.

I think that this would have been a very good episode if you had on one side the non-collectivists who are willing to use violence and don't want to be integrated fighting against the collectivists who deplore violence but are looking to essentially brainwash their foes into giving up. Let it be kind of gray and at the end have the leader woman functioning almost like a Borg Queen. Have this be put forward as a possible way the Borg came into being. Well intentioned people with bad judgment.

However it never came even close to that. I'd probably go with a 3 out of spite. This wasn't a horrible idea done anemically, it was a potentially excellent idea absolutely squandered.

Then again by Chuck's rating scale wouldn't that make this a 5, par for the course for Voyager?
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

It's a 6 on the Voayger scale in my book but overall Trek-wise, it is a 3, maybe a 4.

Hindsight wise, it had potential to make it better. I don't know, maybe instead of Unimatrix Zero they could have done something like this instead.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"