Asus Tablets !!

LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Asus Tablets !!

Post by LaughingCheese »

Anyone else excited about them?

They're apparently coming out next month!!!

There's the Eee Pad Slider, which has a built-in keyboard that, as the name suggests, slides in and out of its housing.

Then the Transformer, which has a detachable keyboard.

And finally the Memo, a 7" model.

Kinda torn between the 10.1" and 7" models. I think the 7" is the best for portability but 10.1" is best for media.

And of course all of them will run Android 3 and have 802.11 b/g/n to boot.

I think these tablets will give the ipad a run for its money! :happydevil:
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Asus Tablets !!

Post by Reliant121 »

Personally, I'm looking out for the Motorola Xoom, LG Optimus pad and the Acer Iconia 7".
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Reliant121 wrote:Personally, I'm looking out for the Motorola Xoom, LG Optimus pad and the Acer Iconia 7".
Xoom is a bit out of my price range. And isn't the Optimus going to be a phone?? I don't want to hold a 7" brick to my ear. :lol:

Haven't heard about the Iconia though. Will have to look that one up.

EDIT: Oh ya, the dual touch screen laptop. Pretty sweet yes, but not a tablet really, I'm talking about 7-10" portability here, so kinda off topic.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Not at all. The iconia Tablet.

And the Optimus is the overall series of phones and tablets that are smartphones. There is an optimusPAD which is an 8.9" tablet running Honeycomb.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Reliant121 wrote:Not at all. The iconia Tablet.

And the Optimus is the overall series of phones and tablets that are smartphones. There is an optimusPAD which is an 8.9" tablet running Honeycomb.
Oh. Now I'm confused; so is Iconia just a brand name now? I'm guessing Iconia Tablet is different than the Touchbook ?
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

The Acer Iconia series is like a portfolio of touch enabled devices, both tablets and computers. They range from the New Iconia Smart, which is a mahusive phone/tablet, to a touchbook. They are all called Iconia -insert something-.

As for the LG OptimusPAD
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

I see. Cool.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

I've never had any luck with LG, and the Xoom isn't worth it IMO, I've played with it a little, and it's fairly responsive, but it's not great, it's cool at first, but it's awkward to hold with a 16:9 aspect ratio. The OptimusPad from what I've heard the specs are ok, but the body isn't that sturdy. The Iconia however, I've heard a lot of great things about, and the 3 ASUS tablets are awesome, messed around with 2 of them at CES and they run amazingly, and they feel great in the hand, the 10.1 is a little large, but it doesn't have an awkward aspect ratio so you can hold it in one hand without feeling terribly lopsided when you change the orientation.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Any one have any opinion or experience with the upcoming HP tablet?
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Only that it won't be rolled out until mid-year at the earliest, at their last webOS conference they only mentioned it and wouldn't go into any details about it, Unless you mean the slate which was released a little while ago and runs Windows 7 on it.
The world ended

Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Nickswitz wrote:Only that it won't be rolled out until mid-year at the earliest, at their last webOS conference they only mentioned it and wouldn't go into any details about it, Unless you mean the slate which was released a little while ago and runs Windows 7 on it.
Nah, I did mean the WebOS one. How was the Windows 7 slate anyway?
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

As a full featured Tablet with an OS, great, although at an $800 price point it's going to face tough competition when ASUS releases theirs this summer running on the i5 with 4GB of RAM, instead of a netbook processor.
But overall it's decent, it runs as well as netbook does, although with slightly less usability due to having no built in pointing device and the need to find on if you want to use a mouse to navigate rather than the touchscreen.
The world ended

Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I'll be replacing my laptop here in a year or two. I'm definitely looking at going with a souped up tablet. I don't have my MBA to work on now so I can just go with a portable computer that focuses on what I'm going to use it for, entertainment, websurfing, and maybe the occasional bit of work. Would be kind of nice actually to work on the Trek Sim worksheet on a tablet.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

We're looking at getting a second tablet now, probably an Iconia tablet of some form. Since we sold the two iPads, purely because none of us liked them, we've been left with a GalaxyTab.

Personally, I thought the LG was one of the best rated of the lot by professionals anyway.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Nickswitz wrote:As a full featured Tablet with an OS, great, although at an $800 price point it's going to face tough competition when ASUS releases theirs this summer running on the i5 with 4GB of RAM, instead of a netbook processor.
But overall it's decent, it runs as well as netbook does, although with slightly less usability due to having no built in pointing device and the need to find on if you want to use a mouse to navigate rather than the touchscreen.
A bit ironically in light of the infamous "apple tax," one thing I keep hearing about that puts the IPad (now IPad 2) at an advantage over competing Android or other tablets is the relatively low prices they sell at. One theory about this is that since Apple can sell lots of units directly to consumers online or at an Apple store, there is very little markup padding the prices at retail. Personally I've never used any such device so I can't comment on the experience.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who